Women's dress causing rivers to run dry

chaggle

Women's dress causing rivers to run dry

Post by chaggle » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:38 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 77021.html

We in the west have decency standards - they are far more lax than Iran's obviously and in the west they are far more lax than they were a few years ago.

We might like to ridicule what we see as strange customs in other cultures and see ours as superior but is a more strict dress code fundamentally wrong or just different?

The river stuff is obvious nonsense.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony Williams

Re: Women's dress causing rivers to run dry

Post by Tony Williams » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:41 am

Well, what people wear could have an indirect effect on the flow of some rivers, in that cotton plants require a vast quantity of water - a quick google reveals that the quantity of cotton to make one shirt requires 400 gallons of water to grow. So the less people wear, the better.

However, to address your questions, there are clearly various issues here: individual freedom to wear whatever we wish, vs collective identity in terms of dressing in a way which is acceptable to our culture. Linked to that is the moralistic aspect - not necessarily religious, nonbelievers have a sense of decency too. Religion of course brings in all sorts of ideological control issues. I don't have strong opinions about what other cultures choose to wear, except that I dislike seeing people with their faces covered.

Personally, on those rare hot and sunny days we get, I wish that most people wouldn't strip off so much, because regardless of gender not many people look good in the flesh - but that's an aesthetic viewpoint!

There is an irony in our culture that despite having complete freedom to wear whatever we wish, subject to fairly minimal decency standards, we generally conform quite closely to what our peer group expects - and this applies particularly to the young, despite their enthusiasm for personal freedom in such matters.