Weather station

chaggle

Weather station

Post by chaggle » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:03 pm

I have one - nothing special, just a cheapy from Lidl, and it's doing something really weird.

It has a remote outdoor sensor which can be a bit temperamental - it can stop communicating. If it does, there is a procedure to go through which involves restarting the units while they are right alongside each other. This is interesting as it shows up any inaccuracy if the inside and outside temperatures don't read the same. They usually do to within half a degree or so.

However, right now they are alongside each other and the inside temperature shows 19 which is about right and the outside temperature shows 7.5 which is about right for outside. :? First thing this morning it showed 3 which was about right for then. :shock: The obvious conclusion is that there is another sender in the near vicinity which is overriding mine.

Anybody think of an alternative reason? And, if I'm right, how might I find out where the other one is?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony Williams

Re: Weather station

Post by Tony Williams » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:43 pm

Obviously a case of quantum entanglement with something outside.....

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:33 pm

Tony Williams wrote:Obviously a case of quantum entanglement with something outside.....
Such thoughts had crossed my mind.

Anyway you will be relieved to hear that I have managed to change the channel (having read the manual - that's a new experience for me) on the sender and now all is well.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:19 pm

My Dad has one that I bought for him here in Spain. And it always resets the time to our time, rather than UK time. If you change it back it won't stay :?

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:42 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:My Dad has one that I bought for him here in Spain. And it always resets the time to our time, rather than UK time. If you change it back it won't stay :?
Ours does that. It is because it gets the time from a clock in Germany. I think there is a way to change it - I will consult the manual again. :ugeek:

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:09 pm

chaggle wrote:
Ours does that. It is because it gets the time from a clock in Germany. I think there is a way to change it - I will consult the manual again. :ugeek:
Yes, we've got one of those and you can add or subtract hours to reach the right time zone.

OfficialFarsideMoon

Post by OfficialFarsideMoon » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:57 pm

I don't recall from A Level physics why measuring temperature is such a problem. I have a couple of temperature measuring things I got from somewhere like Aldi or Lidl. One is plastic with the sensor in a bit of plastic that sticks out. The other is a similar plastic device, but the measuring sensor is in a sort of plastic wire. Both are always a couple of degrees different. Even though they came in same set.

Don't start on those stupid GloEggs or GroEggs that people will buy you when you have a baby. They emit a nice glow but are about 5 degrees out constantly. And they've been like that for years.

for balancing radiators I have one of those infra-red temperature sensors that you point from a distance - it feels more accurate, but I've not got a clue whether it is or not.