An irritating little puzzle

Tony.Williams

An irritating little puzzle

Post by Tony.Williams » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:47 am

I've been stumped by a puzzle which is irritatingly simple (not too difficult - I'm lousy at puzzles).

It is (of course!) an ancient Chinese one. Three men turn up at a hotel and book one room for the night. They are charged 30 yuan. After they have gone upstairs the receptionist realises that he should only have charged them 25 yuan, so he sends up a boy with 5 yuan. The boy can't work out how to divide the money, so he just gives them one yuan each and keeps the two spare yuan for himself.

So the men actually paid 9 yuan each (10 minus the one returned), or 27 yuan in total, and the boy kept 2, giving a total of 29 yuan, not 30. What happened to the extra yuan? :twisted:

Matt

Re: An irritating little puzzle

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:24 am

Tony.Williams wrote:I've been stumped by a puzzle which is irritatingly simple (not too difficult - I'm lousy at puzzles).

It is (of course!) an ancient Chinese one. Three men turn up at a hotel and book one room for the night. They are charged 30 yuan. After they have gone upstairs the receptionist realises that he should only have charged them 25 yuan, so he sends up a boy with 5 yuan. The boy can't work out how to divide the money, so he just gives them one yuan each and keeps the two spare yuan for himself.

So the men actually paid 9 yuan each (10 minus the one returned), or 27 yuan in total, and the boy kept 2, giving a total of 29 yuan, not 30. What happened to the extra yuan? :twisted:
It's funny I was thinking about this very puzzle the other day. Although I had no idea that it was an ancient Chinese affair.

The calculation is a non-sense. If you want to total the 30 Yuan you need to add the 27 they paid to the 3 they were repaid.

The 2 in the boy's pocket, (along with the 25 the hotel charged) is part of the 27 Yuan so adding that to the 27 it's already a part of doesn't make sense

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:31 am

Seen it many times and been told how it works many times and I still need it explained anew each time and each time it's obviously obvious.

I'll memorise Matt's explanation.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:32 am

Helps to look at it pictorally
Each man ten coins each - makes 30 in total

oooooooooo oooooooooo oooooooooo

Then the hotel has 30 coins

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The hotel give 5 coins to the boy and keeps 25 - still 30 coins in total

ooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo

The boy gives one coin to each of the men and keeps two

ooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo o o o

Still 30 in total

However if you look at the 27 coins that the men don't have you'll see that it includes the two coins in the boy's pocket. The misdirection is to suggest that adding these two coins to the "27" return us to the original 30 coins.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:57 am

OK, here's another little diversion. Needless to say, it took me longer than it really should have......

There is a very, very tall coconut tree and there are 4 animals, a Lion, a Chimpanzee, a Giraffe, and a Squirrel, who pass by.

They decide to compete to see who is the fastest to get a banana off the tree.

Who do you guess will win?

Your answer will reflect your personality.
So think carefully…
Try and answer within 30 seconds !!!
Got your answer?

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:10 am

:D Saw that one coming as I read it. :y
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:10 pm

bindeweede wrote:OK, here's another little diversion. Needless to say, it took me longer than it really should have......

There is a very, very tall coconut tree and there are 4 animals, a Lion, a Chimpanzee, a Giraffe, and a Squirrel, who pass by.

They decide to compete to see who is the fastest to get a banana off the tree.

Who do you guess will win?

Your answer will reflect your personality.
So think carefully…
Try and answer within 30 seconds !!!
Got your answer?
You can't fool me, a Squirrel isn't an animal, it's a fish.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:48 pm

Insufficient data.

How did the banana get on the tree?
Yes, that one.