Spinning solar cells?

panama

Spinning solar cells?

Post by panama » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:45 am

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/01/24/v3s ... eap-solar/

The claim:
I think everyone can now picture a conventional solar panel. But a phone 20 years ago certainly didn’t look like a phone today. And solar technology today may look nothing like solar technology in 20 years. And if V3Solar’s technology is anything close to as cheap as presented above, there’s a good chance solar installations will soon look much different.
“V3Solar has invented, and is now in the process of commercializing, the first major change to flat panel PV technology in over 50 years – the V3 Spin Cell. For too long, the world believed solar was flat,” V3Solar writes.
“Using specialized lensing and a rotating, conical shape, the Spin Cell can concentrate the sunlight 30X onto one sun mono PV with no heat degradation. This increases the Power Density while lowering the Total Cost of Ownership and Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE), which is estimated to be $.08/kWh for the Spin Cell
I'm unconvinced but then I can't say I fully understood it. Anybody a bit more technically savvy want to try and evaluate this?

Matt

Re: Spinning solar cells?

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:46 am

Photovoltaic cells are incredibly inefficient so it wouldn't take much to do better. Though whether or not this fits the bill, I couldn't say.

Asthmatic Camel

Post by Asthmatic Camel » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:46 am

Expensive, too, Matt. As I understand things, you're lucky if the current models pay for themselves over their expected lifetimes. Still, with the way energy prices are rising, that may change.

Dubious Dick

Post by Dubious Dick » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:47 am

Sorry I cannot quote the source (brain shrinkage again!) but read not long ago that pv panels are becoming much more efficient. IIRC the first commercial models were at something as low as 7-8% but that we may be approaching figures closer to 50% very soon.

Read through some of the comments regarding the spinning cone variety and seemed there was a lot of skepticism from people clearly better able than me to pinpoint possible flaws in the idea. Looked like a wait and see issue as far as I could gather. However, some of the comments highlighted that costs are dropping quite rapidly as the market grows as one would expect, so there is some cause for optimism that solar panels will become a bigger part of the solution to energy demand as time goes by, irrespective of whether the spinning cell does or does not prove to be legit.

Asthmatic Camel

Post by Asthmatic Camel » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:47 am

Hmmm. The last government introduced tax incentives for those willing to install solar panels in their homes, possibly as much as £1000 a year. The downside was that you had to pay at least £12,500 to have them fitted. Germany took a more aggressive approach, leading to increased demand for silicon and rocketing prices. I can't help thinking that in rainy, dismal Manchester we have a long way to go before solar panels are anything more than a fad. A 50% increase in hardly anything is still not very much.

I'm very skeptical about the long-term benefit of "renewables".