Life on Mars

DrS

Re: Life on Mars

Post by DrS » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:36 am

I'm sad and shocked too. Can't actually believe it. I imagine quite a few of us grew up with him, he was always there, in one persona or another. I thought all was fine and that the new album was yet another wonderful surprise that he'd sprung on us ... of course the real surprise was still to come.

Very sad news.

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:35 am

I can't say I'm a huge pop fan, but Let's Dance is one of my favourites. I haven't tried to hear the lyrics - it's just the overall sound which does it for me!

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:41 am

Sad though the news is, Auntie Beeb has gone bonkers again. The first half of yesterday's 6 o'clock news was devoted to Bowie - a whole quarter of an hour of what is supposed to be a 25-minute summary of the most important stories in the UK and abroad (plus five minutes of terrible weather during which they never, ever apologise when they got it completely wrong the day before).

You almost get the impression that the Beeb deals with serious news when it has to but is much more comfortable wallowing in popular culture, plus giving lots of air time to the views of ordinary folk (who gives a flying f*ck what randomly-chosen Fred or Freda think? I want to hear from people who know what they are talking about, preferably from all sides of an argument).

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:13 am

Tony Williams wrote:Sad though the news is, Auntie Beeb has gone bonkers again. The first half of yesterday's 6 o'clock news was devoted to Bowie - a whole quarter of an hour of what is supposed to be a 25-minute summary of the most important stories in the UK and abroad (plus five minutes of terrible weather during which they never, ever apologise when they got it completely wrong the day before).

You almost get the impression that the Beeb deals with serious news when it has to but is much more comfortable wallowing in popular culture, plus giving lots of air time to the views of ordinary folk (who gives a flying f*ck what randomly-chosen Fred or Freda think? I want to hear from people who know what they are talking about, preferably from all sides of an argument).
Agree but it's not only the Beeb. Sky news barely touched on anything else all day.

I used to like Channel 4 news - I'll give it a try later although I get most of what I want online.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Darklord

Post by Darklord » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:32 am

I too was shocked and saddened by the news :cry: I'm not a dedicated fan of him but I do like some of the music he has performed over the years.

The music industry has lost one of it's true stars.

R.I.P.

polomint38

Post by polomint38 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:29 pm

2 tracks from the new album Blackstar released on Friday 8th January 2015, David's 69 birthday.
The Title track Blackstar

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Lazarus

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:37 pm

chaggle wrote:As long as nobody tries to insist it's Bow... (rhymes with cow) ...ie that's fine.
This BBC video doesn't contradict our previous opinions on pronounciation:

"David Bowie on Ziggy, getting old and pronouncing Bowie"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35286547
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Zep

Post by Zep » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:06 pm

I grew up with Bowie blasting in my ears - Ziggy and Aladdin Sane particularly, but plenty of the other stuff around that time. Play any of it such we have above (thanks, Tink) and I'm back to 1972 immediately.

I will miss him, and thank him for being there.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:03 pm

https://www.change.org/p/international- ... avid-bowie
I Hope you are all going to sign.... :thumb:

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:41 pm

Published on Jan 11, 2016
I just don't want to feel this sad so this is meant as a tribute to David Bowie, who died yesterday.

I didn't have to do any editing to either the video or the music to make it fit. I just dropped them both into my video editor, and magically this happened. I like to imagine that the three of them are having a good chuckle about it right now and are planning more future collaborations.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:51 am

David Bowie: astronomers give the Starman his own constellation :yea
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/j ... stellation