Life on Mars

polomint38

Life on Mars

Post by polomint38 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:59 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... water-mars

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Tinkerbell

Re: Life on Mars

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:00 pm

I never need an excuse to listen to the amazing Bowie.

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:01 pm

The first single I ever bought was by Bowie. Before I was 10 years old. Serious credibility or what? *

There are so many great tracks over the years. I've always thought that Look Back In Anger was undervalued: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJjASV20kc
It didn't chart in the US and was never even released as a single in the UK. Many people have never heard of it.

* Yes, OK, it WAS Laughing Gnome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQdBxVjZx4
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Croydon13013 wrote:The first single I ever bought was by Bowie. Before I was 10 years old. Serious credibility or what? *

There are so many great tracks over the years. I've always thought that Look Back In Anger was undervalued: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJjASV20kc
It didn't chart in the US and was never even released as a single in the UK. Many people have never heard of it.
* Yes, OK, it WAS Laughing Gnome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQdBxVjZx4
Thanks, Bob! Never heard or seen that one before (a touch of Dorian Grey?) My personal fav Bowie track is 'Wild is the wind', brings a tear to my eye. I think his vocals are amazing .

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:03 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:Thanks, Bob! Never heard or seen that one before (a touch of Dorian Grey?)
The video is very Dorian Gray inspired although, as is so often the case, the song and video are unrelated.

"You know who I am," he said
The speaker was an angel
He coughed and shook his crumpled wings
Closed his eyes and moved his lips
"It's time we should be going"

The lyrics are also unrelated to John Osborne's Look back In Anger.
Tinkerbell wrote: My personal fav Bowie track is 'Wild is the wind', brings a tear to my eye. I think his vocals are amazing .
A rare example of a Bowie cover. Nina Simone's version is also good, and is the version that he is copying.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:04 pm

So who else loves Bowie? Favourite songs? Video upload of Chaggle doing 'Couple of Kooks'?!
Good distraction from the rugby... :D

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:05 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:So who else loves Bowie? Favourite songs? Video upload of Chaggle doing 'Couple of Kooks'?!
Good distraction from the rugby... :D
Don't need a distraction from the rugby - it's going fine. Fiji will do us a favour tonight and we will humble the Aussies on Saturday.

I'm not a particular Bowie fan (although unlike most I know how to pronounce Bowie).

I preferred his early '70s stuff to the later material.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:06 pm

chaggle wrote:I'm not a particular Bowie fan (although unlike most I know how to pronounce Bowie).
Perhaps I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that Mr Jones himself pronounces it BOWee like a bow and arrow. But, as any fule kno, Jim Bowie, of Alamo and knife fame, and most people who were born with it as a surname, pronounce it BOOee. Apparently Jim Bowie's knife now belongs to Phil Collins. You'd think it would be in a museum in Texas or in a glass case at the Alamo or something. I've no idea how one was supposed to pronounce Zowie as in Zowie Bowie, his son (now Duncan Jones). So I'm not sure that there is a right answer to how it should be pronounced. If Bindy says that his "name" is pronounced like Bindweed then it is so; If polomint says that his name is pronounced fatandstupid then who am I to disagree?
chaggle wrote:I preferred his early '70s stuff to the later material.
I think it is generally recognised that everything he has done since Scary Monsters in 1980 doesn't add up to a single year's worth of his 70s material. Although there is a scattering of popular tracks lurking in the later stuff.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:07 pm

There you are then, that's that settled!

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:08 pm

As long as nobody tries to insist it's Bow... (rhymes with cow) ...ie that's fine.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:09 pm

Returning to Polo's OP.......
Just to be clear: The new paper does not report the direct detection of water. It reports the detection of chemical signatures consistent with molecules having been hydrated with liquid water.
Not that that means so much to me. But it has the benefit of getting away from Bowie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spe ... y-to-mars/

Zep

Post by Zep » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:10 pm

polomint38 wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... water-mars

Oh yeah!! Back to my teenage years with a vengeance! Just throw in some Aladdin Sane and we're there.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:11 pm

I love the piano playing on this one :D
Sorry Binders, yes, there might be liquid stuff on Mars....

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:41 am

R.I.P

Bit of a shocker to me - he had been ill for over a year - I didn't know that.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:14 am

chaggle wrote:R.I.P

Bit of a shocker to me - he had been ill for over a year - I didn't know that.

I am very sad today. I had just ordered his new album yesterday.