The immortalist

Tony Williams

The immortalist

Post by Tony Williams » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:21 am

A BBC article about a man who wishes to upload his mind to a computer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35786771

Leaving entirely aside the technical problems of achieving this, there's a rather different issue that bothers me: if you could upload an exact replica of your mind, it wouldn't be you - it would only be a copy of you. Not so different from cloning yourself. So "you" wouldn't outlive your physical body, you'd die just the same.

Would it be a comfort knowing that a copy of your mind is left behind - one which seems likely to start diverging from your own as soon as it is created? And probably diverging at an ever-accelerating rate, given the separation from a physical, biological, body. Researchers are continually finding ways in which our minds and our bodies are linked, and there is much still to learn. Cutting that link would have unpredictable and probably unpleasant consequences for the mind.

Anyway, the only way on which "you" could be transferred to a computer, as opposed to being copied, would be if a "soul" existed, could be identified, and transferred with your mind (therefore leaving your body an empty shell). I really can't see that happening.

chaggle

Re: The immortalist

Post by chaggle » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:51 am

I wonder what you could do with a mind that's in a computer - what would be the point? It would need sensory and motor organs to do anything significant wouldn't it? Could you download it to another brain? What if 'you' didn't like your environment - could you demand to be sent to the recycle bin?

TBH I doubt that it can be done so these questions won't arise.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:08 am

We could still post on internet forums.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:13 pm

Matt wrote:We could still post on internet forums.
:o Maybe one of us already is just a mind uploaded...!!!!

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Tinkerbell wrote: :o Maybe one of us already is just a mind uploaded...!!!!
That'll be me - running on an Amstrad with the memory of a floppy disk.

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:33 am

Which reminds me: I posted this quite a few years ago: http://quarryhs.co.uk/OnImmortality.htm

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Polomint uploaded the wrong organ.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:57 pm

Tony Williams wrote:A BBC article about a man who wishes to upload his mind to a computer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35786771

Leaving entirely aside the technical problems of achieving this, there's a rather different issue that bothers me: if you could upload an exact replica of your mind, it wouldn't be you - it would only be a copy of you. Not so different from cloning yourself. So "you" wouldn't outlive your physical body, you'd die just the same.

Would it be a comfort knowing that a copy of your mind is left behind - one which seems likely to start diverging from your own as soon as it is created? And probably diverging at an ever-accelerating rate, given the separation from a physical, biological, body. Researchers are continually finding ways in which our minds and our bodies are linked, and there is much still to learn. Cutting that link would have unpredictable and probably unpleasant consequences for the mind.

Anyway, the only way on which "you" could be transferred to a computer, as opposed to being copied, would be if a "soul" existed, could be identified, and transferred with your mind (therefore leaving your body an empty shell). I really can't see that happening.
This is an alternative version of the Star Trek Transporter arguement. I totally agree with your position. But some idiots believe in a "soul" and think that it would still be them in the new body/computer.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:06 pm

Croydon13013 wrote:
Polomint uploaded the wrong organ.
:shock:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:52 pm

A copy of you running on a computer (preferably with a humanoid robot interface), additional backup copies just in case.

Lots of copies of you running on many computers (or partitions) each with its own humanoid robot interface.

Not only immortality of a sort, but also never be lonely. :mrgreen:
Yes, that one.