Microplastics

chaggle

Microplastics

Post by chaggle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Just heard on SKY news that humans 'consume the equivalent of a credit card of microplastics every week'.

Cant say it bothers me much.

I also remember hearing recently that some kind of shellfish was discovered to contain small amounts of cocaine.

And that some bottled water from eastern Europe contained measurable amounts of weapons grade plutonium.

And that oestrogen from contraceptive pills is being found in rivers.

We are supposed to be shocked and outraged at these revelations but rarely are these stories given any context. We've no idea what a 'natural' level might be nor what a harmful level is.

Surely this is at least in part simply that science is better at detecting small amounts of stuff - isn't it?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Matt

Re: Microplastics

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:06 pm

A credit card of microplastics - I guess that just contributes to roughage.

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:46 am

Does the calorific content of a credit card vary with the amount of debt on the card?

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:43 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:06 pm
A credit card of microplastics - I guess that just contributes to roughage.
Just as long as it doesn't come out whole and edge-on. :shock:
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:00 pm

I got chucked out of the lap-dancing club when I ran out of fivers and tried to swipe. Apparently it's all contactless now.

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:43 pm

I seem to recall reading about someone who had the active element of a swipe card embedded under the skin so that they could just wave their hand at the reader. Presumably the active element of the reader could be similarly embedded, opening up all sorts of interesting possibilities for lap dancers... :shock:

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:30 am

Back to the thorny problem of non-biodegradable polymers, I am genuinely appalled by the pictures of ocean plastics. I'm keen to know more about their journey to get there and how that might link to my use of plastic.

For many years when I drank my refreshing beverage from a single use plastic bottle through a single use plastic straw I didn't really think much about the consequences I just chucked them both in the bin when done and assumed they'd be buried in a land fill. When they brought in the recycling bins I'd throw them in that bin instead and assumed that this would have a somehow better result. My main concern was that in a generation or two we might run out of this handy substance so assumed that the goal was these recycled plastic might be reused. Maybe they'd just be incinerated and the energy recovered or at worst just chucked in the land fill as before.

However the muddled messages whirling around these days suggest that the bottle is less of a problem than the more lightweight straw. Seems weird. I wonder if it's because it's much lighter than the tonnes of plastic packaging, bottles and lids. Maybe it's being lifted on the breeze and being flung into the oceans? My wife suggested that the ocean plastics are coming other countries with more lax regulations where they're dumping their rubbish at sea. However if that were the case then my paper straw and tote bag for life aren't really helping that much.

Anyone know any more about the subject - I haven't really been paying attention to be honest.

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:24 pm

I do recall reading that the vast majority of the plastic in the oceans comes from Asia. Whether they generate the rubbish themselves, or import it and then don't dispose of it properly, is a moot point.