The good guys win one!

Abdul Alhazred

The good guys win one!

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:09 pm

Americas declared free of measles
Science Daily
Summary:
The Region of the Americas is the first in the world to have eliminated measles, a viral disease that can cause severe health problems, including pneumonia, blindness, brain swelling and even death. This achievement culminates a 22-year effort involving mass vaccination against measles, mumps and rubella throughout the Americas.
:mrgreen:
Yes, that one.

Tony.Williams

Re: The good guys win one!

Post by Tony.Williams » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:46 am

Well done!

The next challenge is to keep the vaccination programme going indefinitely, because as long as measles exists somewhere there's the chance of a carrier arriving at an airport and spreading it again.

chaggle

Re: The good guys win one!

Post by chaggle » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:17 am

Quite. I was confused when I saw the post because I remember recent outbreaks in the US...

http://www.sciencealert.com/the-us-is-i ... -this-year
The state of Arizona is currently reporting the US's biggest measles outbreak of 2016, with more than 22 confirmed cases in the state since May.

That might not sound like a lot, but before that there had only been 19 measles cases reported in the entire country this year - so the outbreak has effectively doubled the incidence of the disease.

If the outbreak gets worse, health officials will likely ask the governor of Arizona to declare a state of emergency, Samantha Olson reports for Medical Daily.
...but...
In fact, measles was officially eliminated from the US in 2000, which means it no longer occurs naturally within the country's borders.

But it can still be brought in from travellers overseas, and due to a recent drop in immunisation rates - thank you anti-vaxx movement - there have been several outbreaks over the past few years.
Could we see unvaccinated people being refused entry? Is that feasible?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con