Root canal work

chaggle

Root canal work

Post by chaggle » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:23 pm

I've suddenly started hearing that this is really bad for you.

Mercola and Natural News say so which means it's probably bull but I suppose they might be right from time to time.

Anything in it? Is it a new thing?

I've got a couple - should I be worried?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

chaggle

Re: Root canal work

Post by chaggle » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:28 pm

The American Association of Endodontists say it's fine - that there are no health problems caused by it.

But then they also say it doesn't hurt and I'm telling you it bloody well does so if they're wrong about that...

http://www.aae.org/patients/treatments- ... -pain.aspx
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:04 pm

I had root canal work many years ago and it was very painful. Both while the dentist was poking around in my mouth* and for some time afterwards. This put me off going back to a dentist even when I knew I should, and only blinding pain drove me back. But all the work I've had done with my current, NHS, dentist overr the last 10 years has been pain free.

I'd say that if you need a root canal now you might as well have it done because leaving it will only make things worse. Spreading rot, infection, extreme agony, etc.

* It was a real dentist. I don't fall for the polomint-in-a-white-gown trick twice. Although he is very fetching in a white gown.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:35 pm

I'm feeling very lucky. Had to have the crown on one of my front teeth replaced yesterday. No pain after the anaesthetic, just some discomfort with big metal objects in mouth and waxy stuff for impressions, and implement to pull lips apart for photos. Seeing bits of tooth flying around not amusing, and neither is the bill. But no pain at all.