Enzyme Therapy

CarmSkeptic

Enzyme Therapy

Post by CarmSkeptic » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:15 pm

I am researching claims made by a local chiropractor, specifically on Enzyme Therapy. Anybody encountered this before?

CarmSkeptic

Re: Enzyme Therapy

Post by CarmSkeptic » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Couldn't add this in my first message due to an anti-spam measure. These is a screen shot on the therapy claims here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2347387 ... 419807494/

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Hello CarmSkeptic, and welcome to Skeps Forum. Some of us here are also members of the Skepticism-UK FB group, and I'm wondering if you are Dave W, who has been making major contributions to that group recently, via Carmarthenshire Skeptics.

I'm afraid I can't offer any help re Enzyme Therapy, but there might be someone here who can.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:16 pm

It's nothing I'd heard of before but I've googled probably the same sources you have.

Probably the only enzyme worth discussing is pepsin. That's the one produced in your stomach that breaks down proteins into their constituent amino acids. Interesting thing about pepsin is that like all other enzymes in the human body it is itself a protein. So when you want to store it you must store it at under minus 20 degrees celsius to stop it from digesting itself.

Likewise any other enzyme that ends up in the stomach is going to be not an enzyme for very long. The only way that these are going to replace enzymes elsewhere in the body is if the body uses these resulting amino acids to create new enzymes as it decides they're needed. Something it's going to do anyway from any other protein it digests.

Just my observations as a layman.

CarmSkeptic

Post by CarmSkeptic » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi, and thanks for the welcome. I am indeed the same person, hope some of the posts were mildly entertaining at least.

Thanks for the comments on Enzyme Therapy. I was asking in relation to claims on a local Chiropractors website, see post tonight on Carmskeptic and comments (https://www.facebook.com/carmskeptic/po ... 84789451:0), I think the claims are bogus and ASA complaint fodder, but I was hoping somebody had trod this path before.

CarmSkeptic

Post by CarmSkeptic » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Quick update, have identified a few contraindications and have emailed the Dietician course at Swansea Uni. Still having little luck if anyone fall over anything useful...