Horizon

chaggle

Horizon

Post by chaggle » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:20 am

Superb episode last night...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... irty-truth

(you might not be able to view that outside the UK)

I've not come across Giles Yeo before - absolute star!

This was one of the stories featured...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38650739
The father of the alkaline diet, Robert O Young, is hailed as an inspiration by one of the UK's most popular food writers, Natasha Corrett, but he faces a jail sentence for practising medicine without a licence. One patient who believed he could cure her cancer, British Army officer Naima Houder-Mohammed, paid thousands of dollars for his alkaline treatment, which consisted mainly of intravenous infusions of baking soda.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams

Re: Horizon

Post by Tony.Williams » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:07 am

I'll be watching it.

I always wonder when reading stories about people like Robert O Young (and all other woo-peddlers) to what degree they are deluded as opposed to deliberately fraudulent. Possibly a mix of both, with a strong emphasis on the latter?

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Tony.Williams wrote:I'll be watching it.

I always wonder when reading stories about people like Robert O Young (and all other woo-peddlers) to what degree they are deluded as opposed to deliberately fraudulent. Possibly a mix of both, with a strong emphasis on the latter?
Yes - I have no idea on that - probably both.

It came out during the programme that he will be - or maybe has been - jailed for 3 years for something (sorry, can't be more specific - I'm going to watch it again) and he seemed eerily resigned to it and happy that, even so, he had helped and was still helping 'millions' of people around the world.

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:59 pm

I think that the amount of money he was charging, and the fact that he was demanding it up front, make it hard to see him as deluded.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:37 pm

chaggle wrote: It came out during the programme that he will be - or maybe has been - jailed for 3 years for something (sorry, can't be more specific - I'm going to watch it again)...
...Practising medicine without a licence.