Zylkene

chaggle

Zylkene

Post by chaggle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:35 pm

http://www.vetoquinol.ca/eng/products/z ... _section_0
• Zylkene® decreases the signs of stress, including those associated with chronic stress and fear of noises (fireworks, thunderstorms, etc.).
This is marketed as a treatment for anxiety (travel, fireworks etc) for dogs and cats.

We have a Yorkie who gets in a right state when she travels so we are about to try it recommended by our vet who refuses to give acepromazine which our Spanish vet used to give us and which knocks her right out.

Looking at the on-line literature on Zylkene I have doubts about it.

I can't find much evidence of trials and most of the sales blurb is cautious about making claims - stopping at 'may help' and 'can be used as a' etc. They seem to rely on testimonials.

A couple of the selling sites say things like 'proven to help' and Pets at Home where I will by some say...
These Zylkene Capsules contains a molecule which helps to promote relaxation.

The Capsules contain a natural ingredient derived from casein which is a protein in milk to help your furry friend face unusual situations or calm them before occasions including changes in environment or being left alone.

The Capsules also help with travelling, kennel or cattery visits, fireworks, weaning or vet visits.
... which seem to me to be claims which they should be able to support - so the ASA might be interested.

Point is a) I don't like getting ripped off and b) if it doesn't in fact work it could be dangerous - I might be subjecting my dog to an experience which might seriously adversely affect her.

We'll see what happens.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

chaggle

Re: Zylkene

Post by chaggle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Here is a take-down of Boots Equilibrium (same stuff apparently) by David Colquhoun

http://www.dcscience.net/2009/11/26/lac ... s-problem/
Of the nineteen studies, most are just advertising slide shows or unpublished stuff. Two appear to be duplicated. There are only two proper published papers worth looking at, and one of these is in
rats not man.

RationalVetMed

Post by RationalVetMed » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:37 pm

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with Zylkene. It's a nutriceutical, so not subject to any of the checks and balances that prescription meds have to go through so it's not surprising there is little in the way of proper peer-reviewed stuff around about it. Having said that, the older 'knock-em-out' type drugs we used to use had some serious problems both with regard to potential side effects and ethically, there were the occasionall reports of disastrous outcomes with some of the most popular ones which basically (particularly ACP which seriously depresses circulation and respiration) were just chemical restraints which did nothing to address the anxiety issues.

Personally I am glad not to be using them these days, I always had a sneaking concern that I was giving out some pretty strong sedatives, often without even a basic check of heart and respiratory system for use in a dog in the back of a car, when in every other scenario the drug was used in we would expect it to be in a veterinary clinic with access to oxygen, endo-tracheal tubes and a means of proper monitoring!

I guess what I'm saying is Zylkene, Dog Appeasing Pheromone etc may not pack the same punch as the old standbys but even still, they are a step forward :-) .

Having said all that, there is a fairly new alpha-2 agonist oral preparation on the market in the UK (sorry, no idea what country you're in) which is marketed for separation anxiety. It's a 'proper drug' but specifically formulated for behavioural issues, i.e. not too strong, so it may also be useful for car stress. The only problem is I can't remember the name, sorry - I'll post it as soon as it comes to me!

Niall

P.S. - I've just seen your sig line so I'm guessing you're in the UK!

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:09 am

Used to live in Spain - now in the UK.

Our English vet was horrified that we had been given Ace for the reasons you state - the Spanish are much more fee and easy with drugs - until recently you could go to a farmacia and get antibiotics OTC.

Yes - Zylkene (I keep wanting to call it Zyklon which I mustn't - our vet is a German lady :fp ) isn't a true drug as you say but if an advert makes claims they must be supported by evidence so I will have a look at an ASA complaint. We've given up on it - useless.

The new stuff you mention might be Sileo which our vet has given us. We gave her a shot in the mouth just before travel the other day and it appears to work a treat - shuts her up for a couple of hours. Hellish expensive for a big dog but our Yorkie is only about 2.5 kilos. The dispenser holds 10 shots and she only needs one but a big dog might need most of the syringe :shock: .