Margarine is one molecule...

chaggle

Margarine is one molecule...

Post by chaggle » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:04 pm

... away from plastic

This turned up on my facebook page - in Spanish Google translated to English...
Comparison between butter and margarine:

- Both have the same amount of calories.
- Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams for margarine.
- Eating margarine instead of butter can increase by 53% the risk of coronary heart disease in women, according to a recent medical study at Harvard University.
- Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients that
found in other foods.
- Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they have been added to make it.
- Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.
- Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has less than 100 years.

Now ... on margarine:

- Very high in fatty acids transgenic. (Yes, those scientists discovered only now are lousy and governments began to ban them).
- Triple risk of coronary heart disease.
- Increases total cholesterol and LDL (bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL (good cholesterol).
- Increases in five times the risk of cancer.
- Lowers quality of breast milk.
- Decreases immune response in the body.
- Decreases insulin reaction.

And here's the most disturbing fact .... Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC ...!

This fact alone is enough to avoid using margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:
Buy a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area.
In a few days you will notice two things:
* No flies, not even those pesky bugs will go near it (that should tell you something).
* Will not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms can grow in it.
Why? Because it is nearly plastic
I'm not entirely convinced.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: Margarine is one molecule...

Post by bindeweede » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:05 pm

A quick search suggests this is an "eRumour". I use unsalted butter because I like the taste. Simple.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/ ... garine.htm

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:06 pm

Depends what you mean by margarine too, I suspect. There are all manner of different non-dairy butter-like spreads around which all tend to be colloquially lumped together as "margarine".

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Tony Williams wrote:Depends what you mean by margarine too, I suspect. There are all manner of different non-dairy butter-like spreads around which all tend to be colloquially lumped together as "margarine".
Agreed, but the EU definition is: "A water-in-oil emulsion derived from vegetable/animal fats, with a fat content of at least 80% but less than 90%, that remain solid at a temperature of 20°C and are suitable as spread." Source: http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/ ... 107_en.htm (which takes you to a link where you can open a pdf which contains all the excitement that one expects from a European Council regulation).

There are no popular brands of margarine on sale in the UK. You might not believe it but go look in your local Sainsbury's or Tesco. There is nothing on sale with the word "margarine" on the tub or packet.

The whole "one molecule away" thing sounds wrong to me. One atom away perhaps? Most plastics are made up of just one type of molecule. Organic "natural" substances like margarine have a large number of different molecules within them. Lots of molecules are just one atom away from lots of other very different molecules. It is a very stupid woo idea that this is important (eg: Flourine is dangerous, therefore Flouride is dangerous).
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:08 pm

Croydon13013 wrote: There are no popular brands of margarine on sale in the UK. You might not believe it but go look in your local Sainsbury's or Tesco. There is nothing on sale with the word "margarine" on the tub or packet.

Yes, I've noticed that. Here in Spain they are less reticent about it - it's all called 'margarina'.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con