Lunar Effect

chaggle

Lunar Effect

Post by chaggle » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:16 pm

Steven Novella does a convincing takedown of the Lunar Effect and the confirmation bias that perpetuates it even amongst scientists and mental health professionals.
An often cited 1985 review by Rotton, Kelly and Culver found no lunar effect for a long list of events, including suicide, homicide, crime, sleep walking, alcoholism, and many others. Several later studies of psychiatric hospital admission also found no effect.

The bottom line is this – this question has been asked and answered, there is no lunar effect. A massive amount of data simply shows no connection between lunar phases and human behavior.
Someone should tell Tredinnick before he makes an even bigger fool of himself.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tinkerbell

Re: Lunar Effect

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:17 pm

Well, I confess I used to think that the full moon did have a strange effect on people (when I was a little woo :fp ...) something that I hadn't thought about in a long time. Interesting. Set me thinking about other things that I used to think were facts - for example that there are more twins born under 'Gemini'. I can't seem to find out if this is true or not...I am not suggesting any 'woo' reasons but maybe ancient people saw more twins born at that time of the year and so gave the twins sign as being then...? Or - it's not the case at all. Is not, is it.... :C

Asthmatic Camel

Re: Lunar Effect

Post by Asthmatic Camel » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:18 pm

I suppose that in the days before street lights etc. a full moon would have allowed people to be more active during the night hours, (not that many are anyway.) That's the only reason I can think of that would change behavioural patterns. The "Hunters Moon" is still a common term.