Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

User avatar
bindeweede
Site Admin
Posts: 3305
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by bindeweede » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:29 pm

Recent short article from Michael Shermer.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... cy-theoies

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:30 pm

Most of the theories assume an unrealistic level of competence on the part of "them".

And yet "they" really are conspiring against the public good all the time. Just not one big conspiracy including all of "them".
Yes, that one.

Croydon13013
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Most of the theories assume an unrealistic level of competence on the part of "them".

And yet "they" really are conspiring against the public good all the time. Just not one big conspiracy including all of "them".
When you say "them", I think that you mean "us", and when you say "they" you mean "we".

In my experience of CTers all skeptics are in on the conspiracy, Govt disinfo agents, or some such nonsense.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:31 pm

When I say "them" I mean whoever. :-P
Yes, that one.

Croydon13013
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:When I say "them" I mean whoever. :-P
Yeah, yeah, you're the author of The Necronimocon but you're not one of "us". We've all heard you chanting "Iä! Shub-Niggurath!" in the woods at night.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

roscoe
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by roscoe » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:33 pm


User avatar
Zep
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by Zep » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:35 pm

Argument ad youtube. A logical fallacy.

User avatar
chaggle
Posts: 2260
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by chaggle » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:36 pm

These were her first words...

"At this point we have 9 years of hard scientific evidence that disproves the government theory of what happened on September 11th..."

As the rest of what she had to say depends on that I don't we need take much notice.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

roscoe
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by roscoe » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:36 pm

chaggle wrote:
These were her first words...

"At this point we have 9 years of hard scientific evidence that disproves the government theory of what happened on September 11th..."

As the rest of what she had to say depends on that I don't we need take much notice.
The object of the treatise was not to give this evidence (that's given elsewhere) the object was to highlight your problem.

Which can be summed up as the reasons for your failure to be skeptical.

User avatar
Zep
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by Zep » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:37 pm

roscoe wrote:
chaggle wrote:
These were her first words...

"At this point we have 9 years of hard scientific evidence that disproves the government theory of what happened on September 11th..."

As the rest of what she had to say depends on that I don't we need take much notice.
The object of the treatise was not to give this evidence (that's given elsewhere) the object was to highlight your problem.

Which can be summed up as the reasons for your failure to be skeptical.
1) We've already been skeptical.

2) The Twoofer "evidence" has been proven to be non-existent or highly insignificant, and simply fails to add up to support for their POV.

3) The scientific, not government, scientific evidence points overwhelmingly to religious terrorists crashing planes.

4) No-one liked that US administration particularly - Shrub was an idiot and his advisers were heartless self-promoters - so no "pro-government shilling" happening from the vast majority skeptics.

5) If you have anything else to dispel this POV, bring it on. We're waiting...

User avatar
Zep
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by Zep » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Anything yet, roscoe? No?

Thought so.

roscoe
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by roscoe » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:39 pm

Zep wrote:Anything yet, roscoe? No?

Thought so.
Be patient Sonny

Sorry to break this to you but you don't loom high on my list of priories.

roscoe
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by roscoe » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:40 pm

Zep wrote:
roscoe wrote:
chaggle wrote:
These were her first words...

"At this point we have 9 years of hard scientific evidence that disproves the government theory of what happened on September 11th..."

As the rest of what she had to say depends on that I don't we need take much notice.
The object of the treatise was not to give this evidence (that's given elsewhere) the object was to highlight your problem.

Which can be summed up as the reasons for your failure to be skeptical.
1) We've already been skeptical.

2) The Twoofer "evidence" has been proven to be non-existent or highly insignificant, and simply fails to add up to support for their POV.

3) The scientific, not government, scientific evidence points overwhelmingly to religious terrorists crashing planes.

4) No-one liked that US administration particularly - Shrub was an idiot and his advisers were heartless self-promoters - so no "pro-government shilling" happening from the vast majority skeptics.

5) If you have anything else to dispel this POV, bring it on. We're waiting...
(1) No you haven't. You're fixed in the paradigm that the Government isn't lying and that anyone who QUESTIONS this concept of yours must be a CONSPIRACY THEORIST even when they have offered no THEORY to you.

(2) Well there are several examples of this being untrue but let me give you an example. The Government body NIST have had to change the wording of their final report THREE TIMES because of evidence offered by the Architects, Scientists and Engineers which you can contact yourself here. So in contrast to your wayward THEORY, the 911 Truth movement has directly caused the official story to be changed.

(3) "Religious terrorists crashing planes". Could you be a little more specific please? Which Religious Terrorists? which crashes? which planes?

(4) Well one thing I can tick off is that Bush didn't do 911, he doesn't have the brainpower. Not so sure about his daddy though. THREE TIMES AMERICAN PRESIDENT (That should provoke a few comments). By the way the phrase not sure means I'm Not sure it doesn't mean I have evidence. Just in case you people become anal retentive over the statement.

(5) Oh I do Sonny I do. I haven't got warmed up yet.

smudge
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:44 pm

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by smudge » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:40 pm

roscoe wrote:
(5) Oh I do Sonny I do. I haven't got warmed up yet.

Nah- it was Zep and not Sonny you were speaking to. Or should we call you Cher? :wry No wonder you need to get 'warmed up' in that skimpy excuse for a dress…..
:-P

User avatar
Zep
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Re: Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories.

Post by Zep » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:41 pm

roscoe wrote:
Zep wrote:
roscoe wrote:
chaggle wrote:
These were her first words...

"At this point we have 9 years of hard scientific evidence that disproves the government theory of what happened on September 11th..."

As the rest of what she had to say depends on that I don't we need take much notice.
The object of the treatise was not to give this evidence (that's given elsewhere) the object was to highlight your problem.

Which can be summed up as the reasons for your failure to be skeptical.
1) We've already been skeptical.

2) The Twoofer "evidence" has been proven to be non-existent or highly insignificant, and simply fails to add up to support for their POV.

3) The scientific, not government, scientific evidence points overwhelmingly to religious terrorists crashing planes.

4) No-one liked that US administration particularly - Shrub was an idiot and his advisers were heartless self-promoters - so no "pro-government shilling" happening from the vast majority skeptics.

5) If you have anything else to dispel this POV, bring it on. We're waiting...
(1) No you haven't. You're fixed in the paradigm that the Government isn't lying and that anyone who QUESTIONS this concept of yours must be a CONSPIRACY THEORIST even when they have offered no THEORY to you.

(2) Well there are several examples of this being untrue but let me give you an example. The Government body NIST have had to change the wording of their final report THREE TIMES because of evidence offered by the Architects, Scientists and Engineers which you can contact yourself here. So in contrast to your wayward THEORY, the 911 Truth movement has directly caused the official story to be changed.

(3) "Religious terrorists crashing planes". Could you be a little more specific please? Which Religious Terrorists? which crashes? which planes?

(4) Well one thing I can tick off is that Bush didn't do 911, he doesn't have the brainpower. Not so sure about his daddy though. THREE TIMES AMERICAN PRESIDENT (That should provoke a few comments). By the way the phrase not sure means I'm Not sure it doesn't mean I have evidence. Just in case you people become anal retentive over the statement.

(5) Oh I do Sonny I do. I haven't got warmed up yet.
What, you still here?

1) Evidence that I have dismissed anything. As I said, if you have anything else to dispel this POV, bring it on. We're waiting... So far your evidence has been absolutely pathetic, if not zero, for your own scenario(s). You need to pick up your game on that.

2) Change the NIST report wording! Wow. That means it must be wrong if they change the wording. They can't possibly be making it more accurate with each revision or anything like that, could they. Your argument also means all dictionaries are completely wrong - they keep changing those all the time too, you know, on a regular basis. :wry

3) Ah, I see where you're coming from now...

4) Yes, George Bush Senior is indeed a lizard-king. He stole the elections once for himself and twice for his nitwit offspring by poisoning election officials with hallucinogens to make them count the votes incorrectly. "Hanging chads" are not just voting card issues but a veiled reference to how they will deal with recalcitrant election officials once the FEMA deathcamps get started up. Any time now... Also Queen Elizabeth II is a lizard, and eats puppies for breakfast. The Duke of Edinburgh has been known to eat a polopony whole. The Dutch royal family had a secret tunnel dug under The Channel right beside the train one which they use to transport crates of cash, diamonds, drugs and dead dogs for the dinner table. 23-skiddoo, yer father's mustache. This all makes sense to you, doesn't it, roscoe?

5) If this is the quality of your "evidence" so far, your "warmed up" stuff will be truly amazing. I can hardly wait. :wry

Post Reply