Interview with a "Psychics" Tour Manager.

JonDonnis

Interview with a "Psychics" Tour Manager.

Post by JonDonnis » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:06 pm

As part of my reintroduction into the world of Skepticism, I decided that I should do something never done before.

Recent months the main subject of interest has been the allegations made against Sally Morgan, now unfortunately Sallys people are on full alert and not speaking to anyone.

However I still wanted to get the opinion of someone who has worked with a famous medium and who could tell me a bit more about the whole process of putting on a mediumship show in a theatre.

I got in contact with Colin Frys tour manager to ask the tough questions, but I didn't realise when I started how interesting it would be, and how the conversation would develop.

Read More at THIS LINK

Silentecho

Re: Interview with a "Psychics" Tour Manager.

Post by Silentecho » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:07 pm

I like the idea of earplugs and blindfold.
The medium could repeat the messages supposedly received from those passed, then pause for a short specified time after each statement so the audience would be able to react. The medium wouldn't know what was going on with the audience, but he/she wouldn't need to if the messages were authentic, because both the audience and the 'spirit' would be aware of what was happening.
Has any medium ever tried this?

panama

Post by panama » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:08 pm

To play devil's advocate for a moment; wouldn't a show where there was no feedback in either direction be pretty crap as an entertainment?

(Great job BTW Jon)

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:08 pm

Silentecho wrote:I like the idea of earplugs and blindfold.
The medium could repeat the messages supposedly received from those passed, then pause for a short specified time after each statement so the audience would be able to react. The medium wouldn't know what was going on with the audience, but he/she wouldn't need to if the messages were authentic, because both the audience and the 'spirit' would be aware of what was happening.
Has any medium ever tried this?
Yes. This is an exercise sometimes explored at development workshops - successfully.
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~

JonDonnis

Post by JonDonnis » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:10 pm

panama wrote:To play devil's advocate for a moment; wouldn't a show where there was no feedback in either direction be pretty crap as an entertainment?

(Great job BTW Jon)

Well yes and that is what Tony pointed out. But if you want to try and prove the genuiness off the psychic, then surely this could be done at least once a night at live shows, the novelty of it would be entertaining for the audience i believe.

When I see Colin face to face this is something I will suggest and hopefully get him to do, as I see no reason why he would refuse. This is the kind of test that can easily be done, you get instant results, no need for scientists, strict protocols etc, and the psychic is able to perform in their own environment.

Unlike the test some skeptics have designed for Sally Morgan as part of a publicity stunt (we all know she will never accept), this test could actually work and create interesting results. And is easily replicateable. And although the results would not confirm or deny real psychic abilities, it would open up a debate with the psychic which could then open up further tests down the road.

Afterall who better to test a psychic than the single most experienced and knowledgeable skeptic in the UK when it comes to psychics. in other words me! :D

(Modesty is one of my greatest attributes)

FarSideOfTheMoon

Post by FarSideOfTheMoon » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:10 pm

I read the article earlier, good interview.

Isn't it amazing how everything needed to give a good show sort of excludes the possibility of putting in stricter controls to make it look as if the feat being exhibited is actually for real?

That guy knows the score - the whole set up is geared to putting on a show each night and raking in the money. The thing that struck me most from that was how low their costs are. So it sounds extremely profitable and they have a very tight ship - no one in that group is going to say anything that rocks the boat from a nice little earner.

My point for several years is that the psychics who most skillfully aim for the position of widespread knowledge but just under the radar of the skeptical and media community will be the most successful. This is where Fry seems to dwell, and it's where the likes of Gordon Smith etc all roam. And a few more who are doing the rounds, coining it in, but have little mainstream recognition.

The successful psychic doesn't want public recognition - just recognition from the followers of mediums.

JonDonnis

Post by JonDonnis » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:11 pm

Did you know a theatre rakes in about 25% of the gate for each nights show on top of what they charge the medium to hire them out etc.

It is a lucrative business for all involved, and one of the reasons why no one ever speaks out against psychics, who work in theatres etc or even the theatres themselves

DoubleDutch

Post by DoubleDutch » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:12 pm

As an aside, when Matt, me and another guy surveyed a Colin Fry audience in London about three years ago, we were approached by three guys who wanted us to move away from the immediate vicinity of the theatre. I asked if they were theatre employees, but they would not give a direct answer. I asked if they worked for Colin Fry. Again no answer. My interpretation is that they were working for Colin Fry, and were probably his minglers i.e. spread amongst the audience before the show and during the intevla picking up titbits to feed him.

As for Sally Morgan exposed, absolutely marvellous. The reports suggest the women who witnessed events in Dublin virtually heard word for word what Morgan was going to say coming from the projection room.

As for the theatres. As said, they are out to protect a good filler trade, which keeps the suckers filling seats and wallets. I did a round robin of many theatres on the Sally Morgan tour a couple of years back suggesting that they should at least publish clear disclaimers of a total lack of evidence for the claims being made. Hardly any replied. Those that did were dismissive.

Going back to the Derek Ogilvie case, when Randi exposed him as a fraud, I did get Glasgow Trading Standards to insist on better disclaimers by a theatre in Glasgow where he was due to appear.

That seemed like a good precedent. Perhaps a good time to join forces and try to hammer the theatre industry with the Morgan case ringing in our ears? Libel my bottom! She, like all fraudsters will never go to Court (see all the legal threats we have had on our fake explosives detectors campaign, and not one has come to pass because these con artists can't afford the public scrutiny.

Still, no doubt like Popoff and many others, Sal will continue to brazen it out, but she must be seriously wounded when it was a 'fan' who exposed her. Poor thing! Don't we all feel sorry for Sal! Altogether now. BOOOOOOOOOOO and no HOOOO.

JonDonnis

Post by JonDonnis » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:13 pm

DoubleDutch wrote:As an aside, when Matt, me and another guy surveyed a Colin Fry audience in London about three years ago, we were approached by three guys who wanted us to move away from the immediate vicinity of the theatre. I asked if they were theatre employees, but they would not give a direct answer. I asked if they worked for Colin Fry. Again no answer. My interpretation is that they were working for Colin Fry, and were probably his minglers i.e. spread amongst the audience before the show and during the intevla picking up titbits to feed him.
They were probably theatre security asked by Colins management to move you on.
Colin does not use minglers before shows as far as I know.
As for Sally Morgan exposed, absolutely marvellous. The reports suggest the women who witnessed events in Dublin virtually heard word for word what Morgan was going to say coming from the projection room.
Although the evidence for the claim was anecdotal and not really proven, what it did do was create a huge google presence for this story and the doubt of the medium.
This was one of the things I used when running the worlds largest skeptical site exposing psychics.
The fact that google would list my articles alongside or even above the official websites of the psychics meant I was getting the perfect demographic to read my articles, thus getting the exact effect I set out for.
Going back to the Derek Ogilvie case, when Randi exposed him as a fraud, I did get Glasgow Trading Standards to insist on better disclaimers by a theatre in Glasgow where he was due to appear.
I have a long history with Ogilvie, and he actually stated at a live show that I was one of the reasons he left the country!
Simon Peters is another one who blames me for his downfall. Although recent other problems with the police (which I cant mention) are a 100 times worse than anything I ever did.
That seemed like a good precedent. Perhaps a good time to join forces and try to hammer the theatre industry with the Morgan case ringing in our ears? Libel my bottom! She, like all fraudsters will never go to Court (see all the legal threats we have had on our fake explosives detectors campaign, and not one has come to pass because these con artists can't afford the public scrutiny.
The theatre route is the wrong one in my opinion. It doesn't work, I know because I tried it for 5 years.
You are telling a theatre to stop making money, it wont work.
There are better methods, and ones that work in exposing and stopping psychics.
Investigative journalism is the best method, and next up is humiliation (think Derren Brown, Lucky dog and Sally Morgan)

These are the ONLY two methods that really work, even if the skeptical community dont understand that, and prefer dumbass publicity stunts and handing out leaflits
Still, no doubt like Popoff and many others, Sal will continue to brazen it out, but she must be seriously wounded when it was a 'fan' who exposed her. Poor thing! Don't we all feel sorry for Sal! Altogether now. BOOOOOOOOOOO and no HOOOO.
She was wounded and affected, but I do know that audiences at Colin Fry and Derek Acorah shows have gone UP because of the Sally Morgan debacle.

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm

I think the earplugs and blindfolds are a good idea but how are they effective against the minglers and researchers?

Rainy

Post by Rainy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 pm

That's why it shouldn't be done at a large show. Keep it simpler and rule out all other possible alternatives, right?