A test for 'psychic mediums'

Dubious Dick

A test for 'psychic mediums'

Post by Dubious Dick » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:52 pm

Just seen this comment on The Guardian piece about Sally Morgan sacking her husband and son in law. Maybe it's an old idea, but have not seen before and liked it so thought I would share:

Laughing_Gravy Saltycroc

15 October 2014 10:34am
Recommend

"Did 'Psychic Sally' not see this coming?"

apparently not. maybe her powers are failing, a bit like a footballer who's 'legs go' once they're well past their best.

i've often thought that there's a very simple exercise that these people could go through, to prove their bona fides once and for all.

all psycho sally, or any of her peers, needs to do is agree to be locked indefinitely into a secure cell. the cell would have an electronic lock, inside and out, and the release code would be a 20 digit alphanumeric sequence, which itself would be written on the outside of the door.

all sally need to do is call up one of her 'people', from the other world, and have them read the release code to her, which she types in, opens the door, and is then handed a licence proving her credentials, and from that pooint on everyone knows she's for real.

what could possibly go wrong ?

So, let's see what could go wrong? Or, more importantly, what are the exuses as to why this would not be valid. My starter for 10:

"It doesn't work like that."

bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: A test for 'psychic mediums'

Post by bindeweede » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:53 pm

Of course she won't agree to being tested. Didn't she decline Chris French's offer a couple of years ago? And if she, or any other "psychic" did agree to be tested, the result would be very similar to this.
STOP PRESS The day after this column was submitted for publication, Mrs Putt had reflected upon the test and decided that the protocol had put too many barriers in her way for her to demonstrate her psychic ability. In an email to Alison Smith of JREF, she explained, "With them [the volunteers] being bound from head to foot like black mummies, they themselves felt tied so were not really free to link with Spirit making my work a great deal more difficult."
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2009 ... paranormal

Dubious Dick

Re: A test for 'psychic mediums'

Post by Dubious Dick » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:53 pm

Confess the post was a tad tongue in cheek! Would not expect any of them to agree to this test or indeed any other. Still, if controlled properly to prevent cheating it certainly seems to be a good basic protocol (I would stipulate that if they can't get out, they stay there ;)