'Reverend' Colin Fry

bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: 'Reverend' Colin Fry

Post by bindeweede » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:18 pm

The death of Colin Fry was announced today.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/spiri ... story.html

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:19 pm

bindeweede wrote:The death of Colin Fry was announced today.
Also: Justin Wilson (racing driver), Bob Johnston (worked with Johnny Cash and Dylan), Peter Jones (pop journo, made Hendrix famous).

People who didn't lie and con, preying on the vulnerable, to make a living.

Fry could have done something positive with his life but chose to be a scumbag.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:19 pm

Croydon13013 wrote:
bindeweede wrote:The death of Colin Fry was announced today.
Also: Justin Wilson (racing driver), Bob Johnston (worked with Johnny Cash and Dylan), Peter Jones (pop journo, made Hendrix famous).

People who didn't lie and con, preying on the vulnerable, to make a living.

Fry could have done something positive with his life but chose to be a scumbag.
Forum member Jon Donnis has added his comments.

http://www.badpsychics.com/2015/08/colin-fry-dead.html

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Look what he also says on that page...
Jon Donnis -
I do NOT post on any forums or sites other than my own. Any such posts are NOT me (Jon Donnis), so please delete or ignore them! They are an imposter and are only interested in misrepresenting my position.
... so the post above wasn't him then.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:21 pm

I'm pretty sure it was. He also posts on Twitter, FB and at least one other forum I can think of.

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:21 pm

bindeweede wrote:
chaggle wrote:Look what he also says on that page...
Jon Donnis -
I do NOT post on any forums or sites other than my own. Any such posts are NOT me (Jon Donnis), so please delete or ignore them! They are an imposter and are only interested in misrepresenting my position.
... so the post above wasn't him then.
I'm pretty sure it was. He also posts on Twitter, FB and at least one other forum I can think of.
Yes, he does. :roll:
He recently said of Colin Fry here :arrow: http://lightafterlife.freeforums.org/to ... 13-50.html
JDBP wrote:oh and here is a little rumour I heard. I heard that once Colin Fry has died, he MAY release a video exactly 1 year after his death
:|
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:22 pm

I'd just like to clarify that I don't post on any forums either and that I didn't say those things that I said except where I did when I feel like it.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:23 pm

With regard to a recent statement that Jon Donnis has made, I'm just wondering if anyone here can shed any light on the legitimacy of the funding campaign instigated by Colin Fry's husband in Spain, where Colin lived up until his demise. I believe some of you here are quite familiar with Spanish laws and customs.

Jon Donnis tweeted:
For the record the Colin Fry Rainbow Lodge in Spain is NOT a registered charity. The money goes direct to Mikey! Dodgy as hell!
Granted, the Rainbow Lodge is not a registered charity, but rather a request for funding donations (through the GoFundMe website) to assist in the setting up of The Rainbow Lodge Dog Sanctuary which Colin Fry's husband, Mikey has set up in his memory - and to which many people and organisations (as you can see from the following link) are very happy to offer their donations, believing this to be a fitting and worthy cause in Colin's memory:
Link: https://www.gofundme.com/ej2ggs48

What exactly is the GoFundMe website? Details here: https://www.gofundme.com/

There is no actual charity commission as such in Spain, but there are strict administrative, fiscal and legal controls over the fund-raising activities and expenditure of fundaciones (which I believe the Rainbow Lodge funding request may come under).

This link gives some very useful information on the subject - from the website of Janet Ascombe:
http://www.janetanscombe.com/news/charity-in-spain.html
Something frequently overlooked when we talk about charities in Spain is the actual word “charity”, in the sense of an organization. Despite constant use of the word in fund raising activities, there is actually no direct equivalent in Spain to that which we understand as a charity in the UK. Rather, there are two types of charitable organizations: a fundación (foundation) and an asociación (association). There is a large difference between the two, since a fundación must have an asset base of €30,000 and a board of trustees as basic legal requirements, whereas an asociación is far simpler and virtually free to set up.

Even though there is no central charity commission in Spain as there is in the UK, there are strict administrative, fiscal and legal controls over the fundraising activities and expenditure of fundaciones, in addition to the requirement for them to have significant assets and a board of trustees. It is, too, only fundaciónes whose names are legally required to be registered, and only they benefit from tax relief on donations (law HERE). An asociación can only gain such fiscal benefits if they have a declaration of “utilidad pública” (public usefulness) from the Ministerio del Interior, for which they must already have been in existence, and acting effectively, for at least two years.

From the foregoing, it will be clear that only fundaciones really equate to what we recognize as charities. This is not to say that asociaciones don’t often do sterling work, but it is also fair to say that Spain has known scandal after scandal concerning bogus “charities”. At the very least, I hope the above has helped provide some information for readers to begin to check that they are donating to genuine causes, rather than putting them off donating at all, because there is increasing need for, and reliance on, charitable giving in Spain at present.

Further useful information from that same link:
Question:
18 October 2015 at 7:41 am

How can I check on a charity in Spain and that the monies are being used for the reason that the charity is being set up for.

Answer:
18 October 2015 at 9:56 am

There’s no central charity commission in Spain, and as I say on the main Charity in Spain page (third link in the first paragraph above), only a fundación really qualifies as what we would recognize as a charity. You can ask for the details of an organization’s registration as an asociación or fundación, and if it’s the latter, then their details are a matter of public record; you will also know that their management is subject to stringent fiscal, administrative and legal controls. If it’s an asociación, however, then there’s not the same control, nor is it a matter of the same public record, but it will at least have been set up as a formal organization, and be required by law to submit annual reports … and having been involved in one myself, I can confirm that it’s not something you do unless you mean it! If it is neither, however, then the safest course is to treat it as an unconfirmed fund-raising matter with no surety as to where the money is going at all.
So, what do you reckon? Is the Rainbow Lodge (first link above) a legitimate 'fundación' - or an 'unconfirmed fund-raising matter with no surety as to where the money is going' - as JD seems to be implying(?)

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:23 pm

Interesting. I'm sure Ms Anscombe ;-) knows far more about the legalities than any of us.

All I can say is that I am aware of a fair few animal charities in Spain and a brief google finds all of them with the greatest of ease.

But I can find nothing about Rainbow Lodge at all - nothing apart from the funds request.

Seems a bit odd.

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:24 pm

Ketchup wrote: So, what do you reckon? Is the Rainbow Lodge (first link above) a legitimate 'fundación' - or an 'unconfirmed fund-raising matter with no surety as to where the money is going' - as JD seems to be implying(?)
It's quite normal these days to use crowdfunding sites (kickstarter, indiegogo, etc) to get money up front for a business venture. But they're also being used to con people out of money. In a minority of cases a real fraud, but mainly just "give us money and we'll do this..." requests that can get good-willed people to cough up money for a half-arsed scheme that will never really achieve anything and most of the cash will be go to an individual who isn't legally obliged to do much for it.

I doubt that there is anything illegal going on here. But given my knowledge of Colin Fry I wouldn't give money to anything that he was involved in. After all, he lied about being able to talk to the dead. He was a liar.

If you give me £100,000 a year I'll do something to help animals. I promise. That doesn't make it a good use of the money. (although it would be better spent than if you gave it to the RSPCA).
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 pm

chaggle wrote:Interesting. I'm sure Ms Anscombe ;-) knows far more about the legalities than any of us.
I think you may be right there, chaggle. :) I did not know when I linked up that stuff from her website, that she is actually a registered member of this Forum! Only discovered that since! Anyway, I contacted her through the contact page on her website, linking up this thread - and here is an extract from her reply. (She has given her permission for me to quote her here - and also asked me to pass on a big HELLO to everyone here - and may be popping in herself soon). :D
"Actin is a genuine asociación, or at least using a number that looks like one, but the Rainbow Lodge isn't, nor is it a fundación - very far away from it. From what I can see on the gofundme page, which is the only thing I can really find for it, it's a set-up which may or may not be genuine but which is not a formal thing in any respect. A fundación is an officially recognized organization which must have a registered office and accounts - it's a proper charity as we'd understand the word. An asociación is a lesser entity, but still needs formal registration and an office.

This looks nothing like either, and I see it all the time here, individuals raising money in the name of "charity" to appeal to their fellow nationals' better nature or gullibility without the slightest ability to account for where any money raised going, or even how much of it there is. This is not to claim "scam", but very often that's exactly what such things are. The best that perhaps could have been said is that it might be an attempt to raise sufficient funds to set up a fundación ... but then the gofundme page is quite explicit that the money is going to set up a sanctuary in the physical sense, not an organization (and if it's anything like the Canaries, the materials for the purpose get donated anyway, and the donors are allowed to think they've been bought with their money) ... "

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 pm

"A fundación must have an asset base of €30,000 and a board of trustees as basic legal requirements"
"The best that perhaps could have been said is that it might be an attempt to raise sufficient funds to set up a fundación"
It does mention on the Rainbow Lodge gofundme page that "The initial cost of 35000 euros was raised for buying the 2 acre site". This money, I believe, was initially raised by Colin himself, with much of it being donated from various donors while he was still alive.
So, does "buying the 2 acre site" equate to "setting up a fundación" (?) If so, then there should surely be a legal registration number recorded and a board of trustees set up as basic legal requirements, as mentioned above - neither of which appear to be publicly available.

The gofundme site also states that the sum they are looking for is €13k -and that €3.181 of this has so far been raised by 132 people in the 2 months since initially set up.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Ketchup wrote: I did not know when I linked up that stuff from her website, that she is actually a registered member of this Forum!
That's one hell of a coincidence. :shock:

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:27 pm

I don't believe in coincidence, chaggle. It was synchronicity. ;-) It was 'meant' (my favourite saying). :D

DrS

Post by DrS » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:28 pm

no, buying the site doesn't equate to setting up a foundation. Setting up a foundation is like setting up a company - there is paperwork, official registration, and a sum lodged to confirm solvency. It doesn't have anything to do with what the foundation might do, like buying land.

Synchronicity or coincidence, I'm rather pleased ...