Brexit consequences

Matt
Posts: 871
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by Matt » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Heard an interview with Nick Boles saying there's at least 40 other conservative MPs who would vote down a no deal brexit.

It's not clear to me that no deal gets a vote. Would seem to be what happens if a deal is presented to parliament and doesn't get approved or if no deal is presented to parliament.

Even then if the government asks parliamentary approval to leave the EU without a deal and then doesn't get the votes, what would happen then? At the end of March 2019 if we haven't agreed a deal we automatically leave. Does May have to go back and ask for an extension to negotiate further, is she forced to accept whatever deal the EU27 have on the table or she ask to have article 50 revoked?

User avatar
chaggle
Posts: 2333
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by chaggle » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:30 pm
Heard an interview with Nick Boles saying there's at least 40 other conservative MPs who would vote down a no deal brexit.

It's not clear to me that no deal gets a vote. Would seem to be what happens if a deal is presented to parliament and doesn't get approved or if no deal is presented to parliament.

Even then if the government asks parliamentary approval to leave the EU without a deal and then doesn't get the votes, what would happen then? At the end of March 2019 if we haven't agreed a deal we automatically leave. Does May have to go back and ask for an extension to negotiate further, is she forced to accept whatever deal the EU27 have on the table or she ask to have article 50 revoked?
Doesn't 'voting down a no deal Brexit' mean 'voting for the deal'? :con

Anyway - even if parliament does approve the deal (Chequers deal?) the EU might not.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams
Posts: 806
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by Tony.Williams » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:51 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45546785 :
The International Monetary Fund has warned that a "no-deal" Brexit on World Trade Organization terms would entail "substantial costs" for the UK economy.
Leaders of the car industry, probably among the most vulnerable major organisations to Brexit, have also been warning of factory closures.

Naturally, the Brexiters have been squawking "Project Fear! Project Fear" like a bunch of demented parrots - what does the car industry know about making cars, after all? - but they seem very happy to believe in their "Project Fantasy".

Matt
Posts: 871
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by Matt » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:23 pm

chaggle wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:45 pm
Doesn't 'voting down a no deal Brexit' mean 'voting for the deal'? :con
Well it depends upon the alternatives being presented but yes perxactly....

Usual order of events would be to agree a deal with the EU and then have it ratified by parliament but goodness knows what course this rudderless ship of state will chart.

Croydon13013
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:55 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:23 pm
chaggle wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:45 pm
Doesn't 'voting down a no deal Brexit' mean 'voting for the deal'? :con
Well it depends upon the alternatives being presented but yes perxactly....

Usual order of events would be to agree a deal with the EU and then have it ratified by parliament but goodness knows what course this rudderless ship of state will chart.
As ludicrous as it would be; it could mean not leaving the EU. Or delaying by a couple of years.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tony.Williams
Posts: 806
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by Tony.Williams » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:46 pm

Oh dear, oh dear: https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-5703506
When Liam Fox announced this week that he was backing a post-Brexit around-the-world flight by a restored Spitfire, thoughts inevitably turned to the last politician who decided to weaponise the famous Second World War aircraft.

That was Nick Griffin during the 2009 European election campaign. Hilariously the photo chosen by his BNP on their ‘Battle for Britain’ posters turned out to be a version of the aircraft used exclusively by Polish pilots from the famed RAF 303 Squadron.

At least Fox has avoided a similar gaffe. Although the Silver Spitfire chosen for the flight has spent much of the last 55 years in Dutch museums and its return is being sponsored by a Swiss watch company – could they have a quiet word with Fox about the benefits of single market membership? – it’s in a relatively good nick and thus has avoided the ultimate indignity. The only approved manufacturer of replacement Spitfire propeller blades is based in Germany.
I happened to be travelling by ferry from Calais to Dover last Saturday, which was Battle of Britain Day (no, I didn't realise that either). I was pleasantly surprised to see a Spitfire flying over the white cliffs of Dover as we approached the harbour. This is a peculiarly British enthusiasm, though - I can't see the rest of the world reacting with anything other than a weary sigh... :roll:

User avatar
bindeweede
Site Admin
Posts: 3397
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by bindeweede » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:22 pm

Perhaps it's OK for a bit of humour, before we start stockpiling?

Image

User avatar
bindeweede
Site Admin
Posts: 3397
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by bindeweede » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:57 pm

The "Salzburg Shambles" from an Irish point of view.
Salzburg: How a chronic misreading has brought Brexit to the brink .
https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-co ... isreading/

User avatar
bindeweede
Site Admin
Posts: 3397
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by bindeweede » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:28 pm

I don't know who actually created this poll, but I have a feeling the result is not what they were hoping for.

Image

Tony.Williams
Posts: 806
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by Tony.Williams » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:41 am

If that were to happen (a rather large "if"), that should certainly be a big enough margin of victory to shut up the Brexiters for at least a generation.

User avatar
bindeweede
Site Admin
Posts: 3397
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by bindeweede » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:56 pm

RTÉ's very simple and important explainer on Brexit.

James O'Brien -
Children’s TV in Ireland providing a Brexit explainer that effortlessly exposes the basic ignorance underpinning almost every interview conducted with the likes of Rees Mogg, Davis & Johnson. (It’s incredibly simple but, in fairness, probably a bit too complicated for Dorries)
https://www.joe.ie/news/rtes-simple-imp ... ral-642298

User avatar
bindeweede
Site Admin
Posts: 3397
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by bindeweede » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:21 pm

UK plan to use motorway as ‘parking lot’ if no Brexit deal
LONDON — Work has begun to turn a motorway in south east England into a “parking lot” for lorries as part of a plan to prevent traffic chaos in the event of a no-deal Brexit, a senior MP said Thursday.

The plan, which was not disclosed to local councillors or MPs until hours before work began on Wednesday, will see the M26 motorway closed overnight for more than a month in the run-up to Christmas while the roadworks take place.
https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-plan ... exit-deal/

User avatar
chaggle
Posts: 2333
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by chaggle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:18 pm

bindeweede wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:21 pm
UK plan to use motorway as ‘parking lot’ if no Brexit deal
LONDON — Work has begun to turn a motorway in south east England into a “parking lot” for lorries as part of a plan to prevent traffic chaos in the event of a no-deal Brexit, a senior MP said Thursday.

The plan, which was not disclosed to local councillors or MPs until hours before work began on Wednesday, will see the M26 motorway closed overnight for more than a month in the run-up to Christmas while the roadworks take place.
https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-plan ... exit-deal/
Why didn't leavers tell us this was going to happen?

I mean, they knew what they were voting for...
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

User avatar
bindeweede
Site Admin
Posts: 3397
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by bindeweede » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 pm

"Emergency workers being hired to handle post-Brexit disruption."

(This screen cap is a rather clumsy way of doing it, but the only one I could get to work.)

Image

The original article from Richard Corbett, MEP.

https://doorstepeu.richardcorbett.org.u ... disruption

Tony.Williams
Posts: 806
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by Tony.Williams » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:42 am

I wonder if the ancient Chinese had a curse somewhat stronger than "may you live in interesting times"?

Post Reply