All Change at "Change UK".

bindeweede
Site Admin

All Change at "Change UK".

Post by bindeweede » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:12 pm

"Six MPs Split From Change UK After Just Four Months."

"Six MPs have split from Change UK just four months after the party was founded.

Among those to quit were interim leader Heidi Allen and party spokesperson Chuka Umunna. They were joined by Luciana Berger, Sarah Wollaston, Gavin Shuker and Angela Smith.

In a statement, the six said they would return to parliament as Independent MPs. "

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 9gnMnlmPrm

Tony.Williams

Re: All Change at "Change UK".

Post by Tony.Williams » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:50 am

Well, that was quick. I can't say I'm surprised, given the unexpected revival of the Lib Dems and the rather incoherent way the new party portrayed itself.

Never mind, plenty of other interesting developments to marvel/despair at (delete to choice). Next up, the new Tory leader and implications for Brexit (and incidentally, for the survival of the Tory Party).

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Tony.Williams wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:50 am
Well, that was quick. I can't say I'm surprised, given the unexpected revival of the Lib Dems and the rather incoherent way the new party portrayed itself.

Never mind, plenty of other interesting developments to marvel/despair at (delete to choice). Next up, the new Tory leader and implications for Brexit (and incidentally, for the survival of the Tory Party).
Was watching GMB yesterday and there was an interesting comment from a guest commentator - Tom Bradby (don't know him - might read the news or something). He had been speaking to Boris and got the impression that he wasn't as committed to achieving Brexit as he is making out to be.

He though that the following scenario might play out;

Boris would become Tory leader and therefore PM.

He would fight to achieve Brexit on 31st October and fail.

He would then play 'man of the people' - 'I can't get this done - I have to ask the electorate again'.

And he would hope for a remain result.

Makes sense in some ways. It would absolve him from having to do it and he would be seen as a Brexiteer who had done his best.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Sorry - just realised that that is nothing to do with ChangeUK - Tony's fault.

ChangeUK should have realised more than anyone that the only game in town right now is Brexit and called themselves The Remain Party.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:41 pm

chaggle wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:35 pm
Sorry - just realised that that is nothing to do with ChangeUK - Tony's fault.
I'm used to it - it's my BH's default position :sma
ChangeUK should have realised more than anyone that the only game in town right now is Brexit and called themselves The Remain Party.
Definitely - if there was one clear message from the EU vote, it is that clarity on this issue is all-important - one way or another.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:57 am

Yet more change for "Change UK", or whatever its latest name is, (currently called "Independent Group for Change"), as Chuka joins the Lib Dems.
The former Labour MP Chuka Umunna has said there is no room for two centre-ground parties in British politics after joining the Liberal Democrats 10 days after abandoning Change UK, the party he set up to challenge the system.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -change-uk

12 hours is a long time in politics, these days.

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:28 am

bindeweede wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:57 am
12 hours is a long time in politics, these days.
Five years is obviously so long that you can say or do anything and forget it five years later!

Chuka Umunna, 4 June 2014: "Lib Dem supporters: Please stop asking me to join. I wouldn't be caught dead in a yellow rosette, and that's a #chukapromise"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:36 am

Croydon13013 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:28 am

Chuka Umunna, 4 June 2014: "Lib Dem supporters: Please stop asking me to join. I wouldn't be caught dead in a yellow rosette, and that's a #chukapromise"
Ah, but he's now happy to be caught live with one :D

Politicians should never make unnecessary promises. They are inclined to come back and bite them. :cry:

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:00 pm

And it's "Change" time again. Well, sort of.

Change UK exiles rebrand again as the Independents.

New co-op is not a political party and will work against Brexit, says Heidi Allen
"The former Tory MP Heidi Allen, who quit the fledgling party Change UK after four months, has announced that independent MPs will form another new parliamentary group, to be known as The Independents.

Allen said the new group would be a cooperative and she would be coordinating a “remain alliance” of parties against Brexit.

Allen left the Conservatives to join the Independent Group, led the successor political party Change UK, which formed for the EU elections, and then quit after a disastrous set of results.

The MPs have been through a series of shakeups, both as a collective and in separate groups. At one point they registered with the Electoral Commission as the Independent Group for Change."

Is it cruel to quote Tommy Cooper (allegedly). "I used to be indecisive but now I am not quite sure."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ose-brexit