Brexit consequences

chaggle

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by chaggle »

The EU has published some words about what will happen at the end of the transition period.

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/eu-launc ... dB17JAJE14

According to the article...
The document is an ominous and grim portent of the new reality for many sectors and the “far reaching” changes that await us next year. It puts the blame for the coming shock squarely on the British government.

“Negotiations so far have shown little progress” the EU says and adds that:

“The choices made by the United Kingdom’s government on the future relationship and on not extending the transition period mean that these inevitable disruptions will occur as of 1 January 2021 and risk compounding the pressure that businesses are already under due to the COVID-19 outbreak.”

The 35-page document goes on to explain that “these broad and far-reaching changes, will arise under any scenario [emphasis in the original], regardless of the outcome of negotiations between the European Union and the United Kingdom.”

So, what are some of the key points, part of the far-reaching changes that will apply regardless as from 1 January next year?

Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

"What on earth is going on?"

Britain is Back on the Road to the Brexit Cliff-edge. Is anyone Even in the Driving Seat?

Jonathan Lis, deputy director of the pro-EU think tank British Influence and a political writer and commentator, attempts to answer his questions.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/07/23/brit ... g-the-car/

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Like all good articles on the present situation, this is deeply depressing but not surprising. We are living though a slow-motion car crash, with no means of stopping or steering the vehicle.

What on earth has happened to this country over the last five years? Just about everything seems to have gone wrong, one false step at a time. I am frankly embarrassed to be British. I keep hoping that I'll wake up one morning and discover that this was all a very long-running nightmare but no, BoJo the incompetent fool is still grinning vacuously and spouting the meaningless slogans which are his substitute for sound government.

chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Yes - embarrassed to be British.

I was brought up English but my genetic heritage is largely unknown.

Last year I decided to do some finding out. My hope was that I had Irish roots so that like many I would be able to apply for an Irish passport.

Turns out I'm Welsh.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

I see that Johnson is now admitting the possibility that the Corvid-19 crisis might have been handled differently, but it wasn't fully understood. No doubt he is seeking to pre-empt the criticism which any enquiry is bound to produce. However, he is avoiding the point that the criticism is not based on hindsight - anyone can be wise after the event - but on comparing the UK's handling of the crisis with that of other countries. The death toll here is a damning verdict.

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... 1-6763530
Boris Johnson’s ‘optimistic fizz’ will keep the UK together, insists Dominic Raab
Words fail me.... :fp