Brexit consequences

chaggle

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by chaggle »

According to Matt Hancock, Christmas won't be normal this year.

A glimmer of light in the gloom.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
polomint38

Post by polomint38 »

chaggle wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:50 pm According to Matt Hancock, Christmas won't be normal this year.

A glimmer of light in the gloom.
Have you met my family?
Christmas has never been described as normal in my household.

Although spent the last 2 Christmases (christmasi) in rehab, probably this year again.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Chris Grey is having a short break from his blog. This is his latest entry.

"Time is running out but negotiations will never end."
In several recent posts I’ve argued that it is pointless trying to predict whether or not there will be a deal, and I must confess to becoming increasingly irritated by the numerous pundits trying to do so. But, in addition to that, the wider implication of what I’ve written today is that if there is no deal – and, in a less dramatic way, even if there is a deal – that won’t be a ‘settled’ relationship, and so won’t be the end of ‘Brexit negotiations’. It will be the beginning of more negotiations.

So, depressing as it is to say it, the current ‘deal or no deal’ episode isn’t even the prelude to a resolution. For, given the irreducible fact that the EU is a major economic bloc sitting geographically right next door, there will be never-ending negotiations of one sort or another. Indeed it must be conceded that one, at least, of the Brexiters’ slogans has been proved true. Unsurprisingly so, since it was the truism that ‘we’re leaving the EU but we’re not leaving Europe’.

https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.co ... -haul.html
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

BoJo's latest ploy emerged just after Chris Grey's latest blog message was posted... from BBC News:
Talks between the UK and EU over a post-Brexit trade agreement are "over", Downing Street has said.
No 10 argued there was "no point" in discussions continuing next week unless the EU was prepared to discuss the detailed legal text of a partnership.
UK chief negotiator Lord Frost said he had told EU counterpart Michel Barnier there was now no "basis" for planned talks on Monday.
Number 10 said the two sides had agreed to talk again next week - by phone.
So here we go, sliding steadily into a hard Brexit which no-one except the Tory headbangers wants.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

I'm quite expecting the situation to be different by Monday.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

From Guardian article timed Sun 18 Oct 2020 17.22 BST.
The EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, will hold a video conference call with his British counterpart, David Frost, on Monday afternoon to discuss the structure of future talks.

While it is probable that Downing Street will need to appear tough by pushing back against an immediate resumption of the trade and security negotiations, sources on both sides expect the current suspension to be short.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... h-rhetoric