Brexit consequences

Tony.Williams

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:04 pm

So, we have, after two years of pain and futile thrashing about, at last got an agreed solution to Brexit - agreed by the Cabinet, that is (for today, anyway). Next week it is to be ceremonially presented to the EU. Which will almost certainly reject it because it does not comply with their principles.

Then what?

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:05 am

Brexit Secretary resigns. Who next??? What next??? What was that famous phrase........"Strong and Stable"?

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:50 am

What next indeed?

We have no idea where this is going and no idea what to do about it.

Worrying.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:14 am

I would hope that May will appoint a successor to Davis today, and maintain the timetable. His position was little more than symbolic anyway - I mean, he didn't seem to do much.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 am

Tony.Williams wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:14 am
I would hope that May will appoint a successor to Davis today, and maintain the timetable. His position was little more than symbolic anyway - I mean, he didn't seem to do much.
I get the impression that he didn't do much so in the end she simply had to say what was going to happen. .

Either that or he did a lot and got overruled by her at the final furlong marker (or are we entering the final straight?).

Not surprised he resigned

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:28 am

chaggle wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 am
Either that or he did a lot and got overruled by her at the final furlong marker (or are we entering the final straight?).
More realistically "the end of the beginning": the easy bit was the government sorting out what it wanted. Now the hard bit begins...
Not surprised he resigned
Me neither, but I would have expected BoJo the Clown to be the first to flounce off in a tsunami of egotistical publicity. I can only assume that his careful calculations have determined that his desperate desire to be PM would be more likely to be satisfied if he stays put for now.

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:45 am

So we now have Raab. I do hope that the PM took the precaution of getting him to sign in blood his full support for her proposal... :???:

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:53 am

I see he's another leaver.

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:12 pm

chaggle wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:53 am
I see he's another leaver.
He would have to be, to maintain the "balance" in the Cabinet.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:31 pm

No holding back from Ian Dunt writing about David Davis.
The irony is that Davis has probably made a smart career move today. He finds a new role for himself. He is no longer a bumbling incompetent gradually being cut off from negotiations. He is the lightning rod for Brexiter discord on the backbenches, where they can live out their permanent fantasies about how they would have done things so much better without ever having to actually explain how they might do so.

But with Davis it is demonstrably false. He was in charge and he messed it up, from start to finish. After all those complaints about the EU, he did not understand even very basic things about it. After all that arrogance and swagger, there was no intellectual force to back it up. He failed completely.
http://politics.co.uk/blogs/2018/07/09/ ... he-swagger

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:02 pm

bindeweede wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:31 pm
He was in charge and he messed it up, from start to finish. After all those complaints about the EU, he did not understand even very basic things about it. After all that arrogance and swagger, there was no intellectual force to back it up. He failed completely.
Apart from that, he did really well :ey

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:08 pm

And another one bites the dust - BoJo has gone!! :yay

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:28 pm

Tony.Williams wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:08 pm
And another one bites the dust - BoJo has gone!! :yay

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Here's an article that will make those who voted Leave cry with laughter. Such scare-mongering! Written by Martin McKee, Professor of European Public Health and Medical Director at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and Tim Lang, Professor of Food Policy at the Centre for Food Policy at City University, London. And what do they know? Well...

Published 11.7.18
Brexit threatens food supplies and Ministers know it.
The optimistic scenario is that, faced with recognition of the scale of the problems, the British government will seek to save face by leaving the EU, on paper, but continuing to behave as if it was an EU member for what it might call an “implementation period” but which will be, in effect, an indefinite state of limbo, as its economy slowly declines and its influence weakens. Eventually, there will be sufficient groundswell of opinion to rejoin the EU. The pessimistic one is that, perhaps by accident, the United Kingdom does crash out. In that case, as our analysis, and seemingly, the government’s own, shows, we can expect a severe humanitarian crisis, with widespread food shortages being one of the first manifestations.
https://blog.oup.com/2018/07/brexit-thr ... pplies-eu/

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:58 pm

On a lighter note........for candles. (Get it?)