US Presidential Election.

chaggle

Re: US Presidential Election.

Post by chaggle » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Might well be true, but New York Magazine is not a reliable source.
I wondered about that Abdul but then spotted that much of the article is a rehash from The Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 1becf687b4

Is that better?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:24 pm

It really wouldn't surprise me in the least, but the ubiquitous unnamed sources always get me skeptical.
Yes, that one.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:51 am

When watching this (particularly at about 3:45 when she is talking about NATO)...

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

... is it only me who is reminded very much of this...?

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:22 am

A cartoon from the US news media, showing a TV news presenter:

"That was Brad with the Democratic weather forecast, now here's Tammy with the Republican weather".

The cartoonist missed an obvious punchline, though:

"And finally, the President has tweeted his post-truth alternative forecast".

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:25 am

I see that Trump has appointed someone to look after the environment. I can just imagine Trump's introductory speech:

"How any intelligent person can believe that the world is warming up beats me, when you think of those icebergs - really big icebergs - floating in the Gulf of Mexico."

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:02 am

When he said the bit about the 'fine-tuned machine' I don't know how the journos avoided bursting into fits of laughter.

I honestly don't think he can go on much longer - he'll crack up.

Will he resign or will he be stopped?

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:58 am

He could be Impeached. "At the federal level, Article II of the United States Constitution states in Section 4 that "The President, Vice President, and all civil Officers of the United States shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachme ... ted_States

It seems to be a complicated process, and has to be initiated by the House of Representatives, it seems. "Two U.S. Presidents have been impeached by the House of Representatives—Andrew Johnson in 1868 and Bill Clinton in 1998—both later acquitted at trials held by the Senate. ... When an impeachment process involves a U.S. President, the Chief Justice of the United States is required to preside during the Senate trial."

The specific grounds seem to be “treason, bribery, and other high crimes and misdemeanors”, which need clarification. http://www.crf-usa.org/impeachment/high ... anors.html

The Republicans have a majority in both Houses, but these days, with the situation there ( and here) seeming to change almost daily, who knows where we will be in a couple of weeks?

ETA. There is also the 25th Amendment.
There is, however, another way. Under the 25th Amendment to the Constitution, the vice president, together with a “majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide” can remove the president for being “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.” No doubt the mere mention of incapacitation would summon a horde of lawyers to Washington to contest it or the meaning of every term.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Republicans impeached Clinton for lying about a blowjob. Trump lies more every day than Clinton lied in 8 years. And about far more serious things.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Croydon13013 wrote:Republicans impeached Clinton for lying about a blowjob. Trump lies more every day than Clinton lied in 8 years. And about far more serious things.
It was for perjury, which is a felony, and he was acquitted.
Yes, that one.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:16 pm

Trump might possibly be impeached after 2018, if the Democrats manage to win the House, but I wouldn't count on it.
Yes, that one.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:06 pm

How about this for outrageous propaganda? :y

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:01 am

Four strategic bankruptcies out of thousands of companies (it's easy to forget how rich he is), is not really too bad.

Unfortunately strategic bankruptcy doesn't work for countries.

He mentioned something of the sort during the campaign and then backed off.
Yes, that one.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:45 pm

Moving on from the last post, an interesting piece from The Washington Post on the Republican Party's inability to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
The decision means the ACA remains in place, and a major GOP campaign promise goes unfulfilled. It also casts doubt on the Republican Party’s ability to govern and to advance other high-stakes agenda items, including tax reform and infrastructure spending. Ryan is still without a signature achievement as speaker — and the defeat undermines Trump’s image as a skilled dealmaker willing to strike compromises to push his agenda forward.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... ge%2Fstory

(Abdul, would I be right to assume the WP is anti-GOP? Or is that too simple?)

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 pm

Democrat files first articles of impeachment against Donald Trump.
"A Democratic representative has introduced the first formal article of impeachment against President Donald Trump.

Representative Brad Sherman alleges Mr Trump committed obstruction of justice by firing former FBI Director James Comey amid agency investigations into Russian meddling in the US election.

"Such conduct," Mr Sherman writes in the article, "warrants impeachment and trial, and removal from office."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 38141.html

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:51 pm