Big Ben

Post Reply
User avatar
chaggle
Posts: 2349
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

Big Ben

Post by chaggle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Couldn't give a stuff.

And I would like to think that MPs would have a bit more to think about.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Croydon13013
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Big Ben

Post by Croydon13013 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:14 pm

The Tory Party, Murdoch Press and BBC are far more interested in "The Bongs" (hate that phrase) than in the important issues impacting on, and worrying, ordinary people.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tony.Williams
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Big Ben

Post by Tony.Williams » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Agreed. Mind you, it has a certain symbolism. All we need now is for the Ravens to leave the Tower of London...

Croydon13013
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Big Ben

Post by Croydon13013 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Tony.Williams wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:19 pm
Agreed. Mind you, it has a certain symbolism. All we need now is for the Ravens to leave the Tower of London...
It's about 20 years since I was last inside the Tower, but as far as I remember the ravens have had their wings clipped and are in cages.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tony.Williams
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Big Ben

Post by Tony.Williams » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Croydon13013 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 pm

It's about 20 years since I was last inside the Tower, but as far as I remember the ravens have had their wings clipped and are in cages.
I think I recall seeing them out in the open, but with clipped wings, certainly. Some forms of emigration are definitely not encouraged.

User avatar
chaggle
Posts: 2349
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Big Ben

Post by chaggle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm impressed. What were you in for?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

User avatar
Tinkerbell
Posts: 828
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:40 pm
Location: Andalucia, Spain

Re: Big Ben

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Why didn't they record the bongs and then just play them over a loudspeaker until the renovations are finished?

Tony.Williams
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Big Ben

Post by Tony.Williams » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 pm
Why didn't they record the bongs and then just play them over a loudspeaker until the renovations are finished?
Well, they'd have to be muffled as the reason given for silencing them is 'elfansaftee', on account of those working on the Tower ending up deaf. Perhaps a more polite and less obtrusive "bong" might suit the times better than the usual "BONG!!"

User avatar
bindeweede
Site Admin
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Big Ben

Post by bindeweede » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:28 pm

I don't really care either and as chaggle says, MPs really should have more important issues to deal with.

Croydon13013
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Big Ben

Post by Croydon13013 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 am

chaggle wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:22 pm
I'm impressed. What were you in for?
I'm glad that someone picked that one up. This place isn't what it used to be. When it was a different place.

I was, for a short period of time, the Trade Union Branch Secretary for the Yeoman Warders.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

User avatar
chaggle
Posts: 2349
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Big Ben

Post by chaggle » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:47 am

Croydon13013 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 am
chaggle wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:22 pm
I'm impressed. What were you in for?
I'm glad that someone picked that one up. This place isn't what it used to be. When it was a different place.

I was, for a short period of time, the Trade Union Branch Secretary for the Yeoman Warders.
Sedition then.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Matt
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: Big Ben

Post by Matt » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:46 am

Croydon13013 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 am
I was, for a short period of time, the Trade Union Branch Secretary for the Yeoman Warders.
So if they had a beef with the management...

JonDonnis
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Big Ben

Post by JonDonnis » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 pm
Why didn't they record the bongs and then just play them over a loudspeaker until the renovations are finished?
While they are at it, they might as well play the adhan too, since that is clearly the most important thing these days.

User avatar
chaggle
Posts: 2349
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Big Ben

Post by chaggle » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:03 pm

JonDonnis wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:11 pm
Tinkerbell wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 pm
Why didn't they record the bongs and then just play them over a loudspeaker until the renovations are finished?
While they are at it, they might as well play the adhan too, since that is clearly the most important thing these days.
As long as they do it quietly - not like the dreadful cacophony the Christians make.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

User avatar
Tinkerbell
Posts: 828
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:40 pm
Location: Andalucia, Spain

Re: Big Ben

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:45 pm

I thought Big Ben was just a time keeping clock bell, not a church bell....?

Post Reply