Brexit Plan B?

Tony.Williams
Posts: 1088
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by Tony.Williams » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:19 am

So the Maybot seems prepared to do it - it looks as if her Plan B will consist of Plan A with extra talking.

I read a perceptive comment the other day, that the term 'Maybot' is doubly appropriate: it not only describes her robotic style of delivery, but also refers to the fact that once programmed to head for a specific goal, she will plough relentlessly onwards, shrugging off rejections and practical suggestions for alternative solutions, incapable of original thinking, blind to everything except the Supreme Goal.

On the Brexiters' insistence that Nodexit must remain an option to avoid weakening the UK's bargaining position: the Backstop, divorce payment etc are part of the 585-page Withdrawal Agreement which the EU has flatly refused to renegotiate, so there will be no bargaining about that. What they will negotiate over is the non-binding political statement laying out the nature of the association between the EU and UK after the transition period is over. If the EU ever manages to find out what the Maybot actually wants, of course. This is unlikely to emerge soon; I think the Maybot can only run one programme at a time.

Tony.Williams
Posts: 1088
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by Tony.Williams » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:26 am

Funny, isn't it: it's perfectly OK for Parliament to reconsider a proposal which was massively rejected only a couple of weeks ago and change its mind, while it would be undemocratic for the electorate to have a chance to reconsider a decision made over two years ago.

By the way, I am pissed off with politicians claiming that there is no public feeling against Brexit because over 80% of the voters at the last general election voted for parties which supported Brexit. That is simply because both major parties were supporting Brexit in their manifestos, so it was not an issue in the election, and people voted for other reasons. Typical misuse by politicians of data taken out of context to give a misleading impression.

Tony.Williams
Posts: 1088
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by Tony.Williams » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:01 pm

I had to laugh: in the evening news the BBC included an item about a museum at the former RAF airfield at Biggin Hill. At the end of the news, there was a slight hiccup during a recap of the main story, concerning May's expected visit to Europe: the background film clip was of a squadron of Spitfires taking off. Could have been worse, I suppose - might have been Lancasters...

Tony.Williams
Posts: 1088
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by Tony.Williams » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:52 pm

This sums up the current state of Brexit rather well: http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com ... lspin.html
For the circles we are going round are not a neat holding pattern, waiting patiently for a safe landing according to known procedures. Rather, Britain is in a vicious tailspin, almost out of fuel, and plummeting to the ground. The pilot is frozen in panic, the second pilot is present but not involved, the cabin crew are bickering and the noisiest of the passengers have convinced themselves that the theory of gravity is elitist fear mongering.

User avatar
chaggle
Posts: 2515
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by chaggle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Tony.Williams wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:52 pm
This sums up the current state of Brexit rather well: http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com ... lspin.html
For the circles we are going round are not a neat holding pattern, waiting patiently for a safe landing according to known procedures. Rather, Britain is in a vicious tailspin, almost out of fuel, and plummeting to the ground. The pilot is frozen in panic, the second pilot is present but not involved, the cabin crew are bickering and the noisiest of the passengers have convinced themselves that the theory of gravity is elitist fear mongering.
That is very well written.

The problem is that only remainers will read it.

Much of it is quotable - these paragraphs stand out for me...
But Brexiters have created a hermetically sealed logic. Every warning is dismissed as Project Fear, with the jeer ‘you can’t prove Brexit will make that happen’; every time a warning comes true, it is dismissed as Project Fear Mark 2, with the jeer ‘you can’t prove it was Brexit that made that happen’.

The invariable reference point has become Y2K from which (even leaving aside the huge sums spent by firms and governments to deal with it) the perverse conclusion is that since one warning of something bad happening did not materialise this ‘proves’ that nothing bad can ever happen. There’s now a sizeable part of the population, egged on by Brexiters in politics and the press, who have simply given up on rationality, evidence and argument.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams
Posts: 1088
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by Tony.Williams » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:41 am

chaggle wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 pm

That is very well written.

The problem is that only remainers will read it.
Of the general public, yes - but I get the impression that this blog is followed by journalists and politicians, so it might just have some influence (if only to provide some ammunition and quotes!).

Tony.Williams
Posts: 1088
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by Tony.Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:16 pm

Another intriguing blog post by Chris Grey: http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com ... -what.html :hat

User avatar
bindeweede
Site Admin
Posts: 3666
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by bindeweede » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 pm

I do wonder how much longer this feeble excuse of a Government can survive, especially with a PM who appears to be not only something of a fantasist, but challenged by both truth and reality.

Croydon13013
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:42 am

bindeweede wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 pm
I do wonder how much longer this feeble excuse of a Government can survive, especially with a PM who appears to be not only something of a fantasist, but challenged by both truth and reality.
Did you see the bit where, after Corbyn re-suggested the Customs Union, she tried to mock him, saying that his proposals had been comprehensively rejected by the House. Is she really that clueless? I actually felt embarrassed for her.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

User avatar
bindeweede
Site Admin
Posts: 3666
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by bindeweede » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:50 pm

I suppose you have to look for something to smile at.

"After nearly three years of hard work Parliament finally whittles Brexit options down to the best 16."
Conservative backbench MP Simon Williams told us, “Think of how many possible versions of Brexit there were when we voted to Leave in 2016 – so I think it’s something of an achievement to have that down to sixteen just three short years later.

“It’s a testament to the work done by the Department for Exiting the EU, and the ministers who’ve held that post, that we are able to discount every possible version of Brexit except these last sixteen now laid out before us.

“Now we are down to sixteen, I’m sure it could be as little as three or four years before we can agree the definitive way forward.”
https://newsthump.com/2019/03/27/after- ... e-best-16/

Croydon13013
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:32 pm

Since this thread started we seem to have gone from B through the entire alphabet and have now reached Plan Zzzzzzzz ...........
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

User avatar
chaggle
Posts: 2515
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by chaggle » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:14 pm

bindeweede wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:50 pm
I suppose you have to look for something to smile at.

"After nearly three years of hard work Parliament finally whittles Brexit options down to the best 16."
Conservative backbench MP Simon Williams told us, “Think of how many possible versions of Brexit there were when we voted to Leave in 2016 – so I think it’s something of an achievement to have that down to sixteen just three short years later.

“It’s a testament to the work done by the Department for Exiting the EU, and the ministers who’ve held that post, that we are able to discount every possible version of Brexit except these last sixteen now laid out before us.

“Now we are down to sixteen, I’m sure it could be as little as three or four years before we can agree the definitive way forward.”
https://newsthump.com/2019/03/27/after- ... e-best-16/
...and now the sixteen have been whittled down further and those leaving options - and remaining - have all been rejected. :gh
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams
Posts: 1088
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by Tony.Williams » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:07 am

I've just caught up with Chris Grey's 30 March blog post (ancient history now, of course) http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com . He's getting really exercised over the whole business. Can't wait to read the next one... :shock:

Tony.Williams
Posts: 1088
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by Tony.Williams » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:25 am

What is really striking about the voting patterns shown on the BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47783127 is that nearly all of the Tories voted against everything, while nearly all of Labour MPs who voted, supported everything.

By rights, that ought to cost the Tories dear if there is another General Election but, of course, logic has little to do with this...

User avatar
chaggle
Posts: 2515
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Brexit Plan B?

Post by chaggle » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:23 am

Tony.Williams wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:25 am
What is really striking about the voting patterns shown on the BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47783127 is that nearly all of the Tories voted against everything, while nearly all of Labour MPs who voted, supported everything.

By rights, that ought to cost the Tories dear if there is another General Election but, of course, logic has little to do with this...
Now that is interesting. :geek:
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Post Reply