M&S sells hijabs for little girls

chaggle

M&S sells hijabs for little girls

Post by chaggle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:12 am

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/12/ms-under ... s-8030719/

The garment, which is stocked as part of the school uniform category on the website, is controversial as it reportedly would fit a child around the age of 3-4. The sizes on the website are a vague, coming in ‘small’, ‘medium’ and ‘large’ without giving a specific age range, or a size guide to explain what age each of the sizes is aimed at. However, from the reviews, the medium size would apparently fit a four year old
M&S have taken a lot of stick for selling these but I can't really see what the problem is.

It's not a face covering which I would object to. It's ubiquitous in some countries (Morocco for instance) and AFAIAC is no more controversial than a turban or a yarmulke. Would M&S get into trouble for selling Catholic first communion dresses?

Is the problem that it's associated with Islam?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams

Re: M&S sells hijabs for little girls

Post by Tony.Williams » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:20 am

There does seem to be a lot of confusion over this. I see no reason to object to any item of dress unless it covers the face. It seems bizarre to object to headscarves, when the Queen wears them (as did my mum).

chaggle

Re: M&S sells hijabs for little girls

Post by chaggle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:25 am

Quite.

There have been some really bad discussion threads elsewhere including some people I would expect to know better - not opinions different from mine but bad arguments - like 'a little girl should not be told to wear that' - when apparently some little girls want to wear it like their big sisters and mums and anyway little girls are told what to wear all the time - particularly at school.

Also - it's being slammed because it's a 'modesty garment' and young girls shouldn't have to wear one. But aren't all clothes 'modesty garments' to some extent?

It seems to me that people either have a problem with its Islamic links (as opposed to Jewish, Sikh, Christian and so on) or, people are suffering from time and place arrogance - the notion that '21st Century Western European' is the only acceptable dress style.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con