"It was a miracle..."

Tony.Williams

"It was a miracle..."

Post by Tony.Williams » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:07 am

An unfortunate stowaway on a Kenyan airlines flight fell to Earth when the aircraft undercarriage doors opened on the approach to Heathrow, and landed in a garden "only a yard" from a sunbather. Neighbours said "it was a miracle no-one was killed" because so many people were out of doors enjoying the sunshine, and that the sunbather "was lucky not to have been hit".

Not difficult to guesstimate the chance of the falling body hitting someone: calculate the area of land, buildings etc under the flight path; divide that by the space occupied by another guesstimate - of the number of people out of doors within that area (allowing, say, 1m x 2m as the space occupied by each person) and you would end up with a very small probability of the body hitting anyone. There was nothing "lucky" about the sunbather not being hit.

chaggle

Re: "It was a miracle..."

Post by chaggle » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Bet he was a bit surprised though.

Imagine how desperate one must be to go through the risk - and terror - of stowing away in the undercarriage of a jet airliner.

I know little of such things but I would imagine surviving the takeoff, gear retraction, -50 temperatures, lack of air and air pressure, gear deployment and landing is practically impossible and seriously scary.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams

Re: "It was a miracle..."

Post by Tony.Williams » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:57 pm

Impossible in a long-haul flight (this one was 9 hours) - not enough air to live on at 40,000', and with temps down to -60 he was probably frozen solid by the time he dropped from the plane, accounting for the shattered paving stone he hit.

Short flights are doable, if they keep lower. The main danger then is being crushed as the undercarriage is retracted (or losing your grip as it is lowered).