That wedding...

Tony.Williams

That wedding...

Post by Tony.Williams » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:50 am

Not a subject that interests me, but I had to laugh at one newspaper headline, quoted on the BBC news site:
The royal bride-to-be went to Northwestern University in Illinios, and the Chicago Tribune runs the headline: "2003 graduate accepts government post in London."

bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: That wedding...

Post by bindeweede » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:23 am

I wonder where the Chicago Tribune gets the idea that the royal family forms part of the Government. :con

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/e ... story.html

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am

Some points;

What is a black person? On morning telly they were asking Alex Beresford (weather presenter and about as 'black' as I am) and Chuka Umunna (who's also not very black) what they thought of a mixed race person joining the royalty. They seemed to think that it was a jolly good thing and demonstrated how far we had all come in the last few years. I hadn't even thought about her ethnicity - just a rather nice looking girl.

Incidentally 1 - she looks pretty much like Pippa Middleton which is a bit creepy.

Incidentally 2 - are we allowed to say people of colour these days? It was said a couple of times this morning I thought it was forbidden.

There was a rather nice American lady interviewed who had married an Englishman and become a viscountess.

When she first met him she didn't know he was titled in fact she didn't know what a Viscount was. She only realised when they went shipping and saw his credit card with his title on it. She asked him if it was a special kind of discount card. :lol
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:09 am

MARKLE, Philip, dear. MEGHAN MARKLE! Harry's not marrying Angela Merkel!'

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:29 am

chaggle wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am
Some points;

What is a black person? On morning telly they were asking Alex Beresford (weather presenter and about as 'black' as I am) what he thought of a mixed race person joining the royalty. He and a couple of others thought it was a jolly good thing and demonstrated how far we had all come in the last few years. I hadn't even thought about her ethnicity - just a rather nice looking girl.

Incidentally 1 - she looks pretty much like Pippa Middleton which is a bit creepy.

Incidentally 2 - are we allowed to say people of colour these days? It was said a couple of times this morning I thought it was forbidden.

There was a rather nice American lady interviewed who had married an Englishman and become a viscountess.

When she first met him she didn't know he was titled in fact she didn't know what a Viscount was. She only realised when they went shipping and saw his credit card with his title on it. She asked him if it was a special kind of discount card. :lol
On "Incidentally 2": Apparently "People of Colour" is good but "Coloured People" is bad at the moment.

Also, although "mixed race", "black race", etc, are widely used by some people, they are frowned on by scientists/skeptics because there is no such thing as a "race" amongst humans. We are all of the human race with very very little genetic difference between us. The word "race" is used by racists to try to suggest some clear differences that simply don't exist.

I find the fact that the Daily Fail, Tatler, and other right-wing media outlets are upset about her ethnicity to be delightful. Fuck 'em.

The Spectator even said: “seventy years ago, Meghan Markle would have been the kind of woman the Prince would have had for a mistress, not a wife.” As if this was a bad thing rather than a positive sign of progress!

A short article highlighting some of the worst of the UK press:
https://www.thecut.com/2017/11/meghan-m ... tions.html
thIS sIGnaTure iS an