Bell End Road

Tony.Williams

Bell End Road

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:51 am

I was baffled by the current fuss about people wanting to change the name of "Bell End Road", since I couldn't work out what was rude about it. In the end I had to google it, and I was surprised by the result, since I'd never heard that one before. Evidently I live a sheltered life.

Quite what modern home-owners would make of some of the medieval names I don't know. Streets where prostitutes concentrated were dubbed "Gropekunt Lane" or similar. You have to award marks for graphic honesty...

chaggle

Re: Bell End Road

Post by chaggle » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:34 am

Quite near us we have Bleadon Hill and Old Sodbury.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:36 am

So far as I know, the inhabitants of Penistone and Maidenhead haven't objected... and I do not doubt that there are many others worse than these.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Many years ago when I lived in Hull, I would regularly drive through the pretty Yorkshire Wolds village of Wetwang. For those who enjoy suggestive names, here are a few to add to the ones Tony has mentioned. https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life ... 11883.html

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:42 pm

I'm surprised that they didn't include Tyttenhanger, near St Albans. They really, really ought to site a factory making female underwear there :roll:

Extend the search to foreign names and all sorts of puerile fun can be had: there's a place in Austria called Fucking and a mountain in Germany called Wank, just for starters.

Of course, that works the other way round as well. Rolls-Royce nearly called one of their cars the Silver Mist until they discovered that Mist means manure in German.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Tony beat me to it but - a picture paints and all that...

Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:11 pm

Wonderful. Just sniggered my way through all of that lot :yay

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:57 am

I have to say I'm puzzled as to why Wetwang is considered rude (my sheltered life again, I suppose). To me, it sounds like a name Tolkien might have come up with for a rather unpleasant stretch of marshland.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Tony.Williams wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:57 am
I have to say I'm puzzled as to why Wetwang is considered rude (my sheltered life again, I suppose). To me, it sounds like a name Tolkien might have come up with for a rather unpleasant stretch of marshland.
I think it's American slang actually. But as far as I know wang or whang is something (I assume) you have and I do not. And before anybody else says it, not a brain or high heeled sandals..... :hat

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:49 pm

I remember reading once of the astonishing number of slang terms for the male member which are, or have been, used - it ran into hundreds if not thousands (and that's only in English).

I sometimes use whang to mean throw hard - as in "whang it over here". Not sure where that came from. On googling, I see it means "to strike something like a gong or bell".