When do you become "old"?

Tony.Williams

When do you become "old"?

Post by Tony.Williams » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43 am

From yahoo news:
A new survey has defined the age at which people in Britain stop being referred to as ‘young’, and it’s a strong indicator of whether you’re over the hill. The YouGov researched surveyed just short of 6500 people, who were asked to give their view on the age at which a person should stop being referred to as ‘young’. As it transpires, you’re no longer young once you hit the big 3-0.

The general consensus of the survey is that youth lasts up to, and including, the age of 29. Once a person has reached the age of 30, however, the majority of Brits no longer consider them to be young.

Reassuringly though, the survey revealed that the point at which most Brits believe a person has become middle aged is 48, while 70 is the age by which a majority of people believe someone has gotten old.
So I tracked down the webpage: https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/03/06/ho ... oes-perso/

This is the curious bit:
The results also reveal a no-man's land age group – an age range that the English language doesn't seem to have a term for. The majority of Brits do not consider a person aged 30-47 to be either young or middle aged.
Any suggestions? :con

Of course, 70 is ridiculously young for anyone to be considered "old". :roll:

chaggle

Re: When do you become "old"?

Post by chaggle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:43 pm

I am not old yet at 61 yet my parents freely admitted that they were old at 40.

30 - 47, prime of life?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:26 pm

It's pretty much a moving goalpost for most people. When you reach the 'old' 30 landmark yourself, you see things differently and then 40 becomes 'old', and so on ....

(I'm at the stage now where - 'old' is when you reach 90.) :|
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 pm

Perhaps it's all just an attitude thing. I'm closer to 70 than chaggle's 61. "In my prime years", would be the expression of my choice. "Old" starts around......80??

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:16 am

Maybe the 30-47 group should be simply referred to as "adult" - as opposed to "young adult" 18-29, and "mature" 48-69.

"Old" is a bit of a problem because of the huge variations in appearance and capability depending on genetics and lifestyle. Very often when I see people on TV whose age is given I think "they look much older than that" or conversely "good grief - I would have guessed they were 20 years younger!"

Perhaps we should have "old" 70-79, "older" 80-89 and "oldest" 90+