Mystery over village in Devon rising 2cm every year

Croydon13013

Mystery over village in Devon rising 2cm every year

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:43 pm

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/12/mystery-v ... 1773/#mv-a

My first question is not "why is it rising?" but "is it really rising?". I've seen properties where the ground has shifted by a couple of cm and there were lots of cracks. The photos don't show cracks in the ground or anything. No report of property damage. Need more info.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tony.Williams

Re: Mystery over village in Devon rising 2cm every year

Post by Tony.Williams » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:10 am

It seems to be genuine, to do with satellite measurements rather than anything that's visible on the ground: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43721223
"Probably the weirdest example we've come across is the 2cm per year uplift at a place called Willand in Devon. It's a small place on the M5 motorway. We've spoken to the Environment Agency and the British Geological Survey, and right now we can't explain it. We don't know why it's going up," said Dr Sowter.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:12 am

What amazes me is that there is satellite technology that can measure such a minimal change.

It's magick.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:28 am

So how much higher is Willand now than it was 10 years ago? Or 100 years ago?

After ten years of 2cm a year it should be 20cm higher. That is a big difference. There would have to have been some serious roadworks to fix a shift like that or roads would be completely impassable. Any property on or near the fault line would be falling down.

This should be a much bigger story. I'm still sceptical.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:12 am

As I understand it, no-one knows what was happening before the current radar studies began - maybe it was rising, maybe it was sinking, maybe it just stayed the same. Until the reason for the change is understood, it's anyone's guess.

This study of micro-geomorphological change (to coin a snappy term) is obviously brand new and will no doubt see much activity in the future.

To add: the kind of disruption which causes roads to break up etc occurs along fault lines where the land on either side is moving in different directions. I suspect that what is happening here is different - more of a gentle uplift which reaches 2cm at the centre but tails off gradually over a distance of miles, so there are no discontinuities. The effects of this would probably be lost in the general background noise of road and foundation wear and tear.