Royal wedding 2018

Ketchup

Royal wedding 2018

Post by Ketchup » Fri May 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Raincheck anyone?

If you are one of those who would prefer to be watching the paint dry on the Forth Bridge, here are some choice alternative ways to escape the manic fever of the day:
(I'm opting for No. 6.) :arrow: 'Royal wedding 2018: Ten different ways to spend the day'

Plus - (for anyone that's interested): How much is it all costing?
Bridebook.co.uk, a wedding planning service, says the total cost of the wedding could be £32m - including the cost of security.
It put the cost of the cake at £50,000, the florist at £110,000, the catering at £286,000, and so on and so on.
Reality Check contacted the company's owner, Hamish Shephard, to ask about the methodology used to arrive at the estimate.
He said the £32m figure had been based on the assumption that the Royal Family had paid for everything at market rate.
But in the absence of any official data, this is still guesswork - however well informed.
For example, we don't know if suppliers would offer a substantial discount for the privilege of providing their services for a royal wedding.

Who pays?

The cost of security for the wedding will be met by the taxpayer.
Initially, Thames Valley Police will have to absorb the cost itself.
But the force will be eligible to apply for special grant funding from the Home Office after the event in order to claim back some of the costs.
Special grant funding is a separate pool of money forces can apply for if they have to police events outside their usual remit.

As for the rest of the total, the Royal Family has said it will be paying for the private elements of the wedding.
Every year the Royal Family gets a chunk of money from the annual Sovereign Grant, paid directly by the Treasury.
The grant is calculated on a percentage of the profits from the Crown Estate portfolio, which includes much of London's West End.
This year it's worth £82m.
Some members of the Royal Family benefit from additional income.
For example, Prince Charles gets money from the Duchy of Cornwall estate, a portfolio of land, property and financial investments.
But it's not clear which "pots" the palace will choose to fund the wedding from.
Republic, which campaigns for an elected head of state, and claims the overall cost of the monarchy is far higher than £82m, has submitted a petition against taxpayers' money being spent on the wedding.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44154438

(Rant not over) : thdown
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~

chaggle

Re: Royal wedding 2018

Post by chaggle » Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 pm

The British Retail Consortium expects a £500m boom so that will more than offset the £30m the taxpayer is paying for security. :thumb:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... -economy/
In 2011, the BRC estimated the spending influx as a result of the royal wedding at around £500m, and it expects to "see a similar pattern this time around".
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Fri May 18, 2018 9:06 pm

Well, I realised a couple of days ago that my spare wooden leg urgently needs re-varnishing, and I will need to observe the drying process meticulously just in case there are technical issues to be overcome. :thumb

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sat May 19, 2018 6:40 am

The Rugby premiership playoff semi-finals are on from 12:30 so I shall be watching those while OH watches the nuptials and the FA cup final.

Meanwhile, The Royal Family is worth £1.8 billion to the UK economy.

http://www.cityam.com/276041/royal-fami ... -year-says
Britain’s royalty contributes nearly £1.8bn to the UK economy every year, according to a new analysis of the value of the monarchy to be published today.
The total annual cost of the monarchy to the taxpayer is £292m, according to the report, a sum some people, such as the Republic pressure group, argue would be better spent on public services.

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat May 19, 2018 8:56 am

There's one thing which can be said for the wedding - it has greatly diminished the usual TV hyper coverage of the FA Cup Final. I'm not sure that's sufficient compensation, though.

I expect I'll be doing what I usually do - amble down to the village to buy a newspaper (thereby getting my Saturday ration of exercise), then put my feet up and read it while downing a mug of strong coffee. The really good thing about newspapers compared with live TV is that you can skim over the bits that don't interest you. I fear that the paper won't keep me engaged for very long today....

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sat May 19, 2018 10:00 am

I didn't know anyone bought newspapers any more - I haven't for years but strangely I do rather miss them.

I agree about their usability compared to TV (or radio come to that) you can just look at the headlines and read the bits you want to to whatever level of detail you want.

I do that online now.

I'll be doing some gardening and putting up the new garden mirror that is quite small but arrived in a package big enough for a small car.

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat May 19, 2018 2:31 pm

I read more newspapers now than ever. What I like about them isn't the news (which the BBC News website provides) so much as what's going on behind the news, and in particular the contrasting arguments of the various columnists concerning the issues of the day. I'm happy to read views I disagree with - they help in reviewing and refining my own opinions.