Andre Rieu - Ave Maria.

Rainy

Andre Rieu - Ave Maria.

Post by Rainy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:50 am

This is beautiful.

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Minnehaha

Re: Andre Rieu - Ave Maria.

Post by Minnehaha » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:51 am

Hail Mary, full of grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus+
Pray for us sinners,
Now and at the hour of our death
Amen

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:52 am

I have to say, I prefer Schubert's original - in German with piano accompaniment. It doesn't need anything else, other than a lovely voice - like Barbara Bonney's.

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Cruciverbalist

Post by Cruciverbalist » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:53 am

Well, personally I can do without the voice altogether.

Franz Liszt made transcriptions of many of Schubert's songs for solo piano, including Ave Maria. Here's a sublime performance by Valerie Tryon.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:54 am

Well, I was grubbing around Youtube a little while ago and came across this. It reminded me of this thread from "the early days" :D

I like it.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:55 am

Minnehaha wrote:Hail Mary, full of grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners,
Amen
There was a line missing
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:00 am

chaggle wrote:
Minnehaha wrote:Hail Mary, full of grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners,
Amen
There was a line missing
"Holy Mary, Mother of God,"

EEK! ... I "heard" this (my mother's voice - bellowing out from the kitchen) ... and just for one little nano-second, I thought uh-oh ... I'm in trouble - again ... What've I done now? Image Image
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~

panama

Post by panama » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:01 am

Rainy wrote:This is beautiful.

Sorry, Rainy, but that is ghastly. Sickly, syrupy, tasteless and poorly sung - I'm for Binder's clip.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:02 am

Are we in an "Ave Maria" mode? :D Not, I expect. I thought it would be easy to find a decent version of the Bach/Gounod version on Youtube. Well, it bloody wasn't. This is simple and attractive, imo. Please ignore the vomit-inducing images.

Yes, I did bypass both Callas and Aled Jones.

panama

Post by panama » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:03 am

bindeweede wrote:
Well done that man.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:04 am

It is amazing what you come across on Youtube. The Big Tune in the Intermezzo to Cavaleria Rusticana is quite well-known, but I didn't realise Mascagni used it to set the words of Ave Maria. This version is quite good.

http://board.flashkit.com/board/archive ... 07832.html

panama

Post by panama » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:05 am

Lovely singing - beautifully controlled and understated and with a fabulous tone.

panama

Post by panama » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:06 am

bindeweede wrote:Are we in an "Ave Maria" mode? :D Not, I expect. I thought it would be easy to find a decent version of the Bach/Gounod version on Youtube. Well, it bloody wasn't. This is simple and attractive, imo. Please ignore the vomit-inducing images.

Very nice indeed. Like Catholic priests I'm partial to a good treble. Pity his voice cracks a bit on the big note. I'm probably being a bit pickey.

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:07 am

Yes I agree with you that you are being "picky"--which is easy to do, easier, that is, than spending years
training to be a singer and giving a splendid performance like Marusia Lowese in that Andre Rieu concert.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:08 am

Mirusia's voice in this piece is very pleasant, but for me nothing more. And it is the slushy arrangement I find unattractive and unnecessary.

Now listen to the great Maria Callas.............oh, hang on.