What book are you reading at the moment?

Tony.Williams

Re: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by Tony.Williams » Sun May 28, 2017 1:37 pm

It's fun writing, isn't it? I found that my characters tend to take on a life of their own and head off in all sorts of unexpected directions... :?

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:30 pm

chaggle wrote:By the way I nearly wrote one once - got up to about 70,000 words and couldn't think of an ending so I lost interest. It's on an old computer drive in my drawer - maybe I'll dig it out sometime.

It was an erotic, comedy, sci-fi, detective thriller - think Michael Crichton crossed with Ben Elton. :thumb:
Chaggle, you really ought to dig it out and bring it back to life. Books are meant to be read! and shared ... I'm thinking it's actually rather selfish of you to keep it hidden away like that, depriving the world (well, at least some of it - all of us on here to start with).
:idea: - Suggestion:
It's just the ending that's missing, so you've got the beginning and middle. How about you fish it out and start a thread here on Skeps; post up so many words a week perhaps, for all of us to enjoy. Then, when that's done, maybe we could create a little project here, where each of us could put forward ideas for the ending(?) and give you the incentive to set some time aside to work on making it complete - possibly even have a couple of alternative endings .... 8-) (?)
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:46 pm

Currently reading 'A Man Called Ove' - novel by Swedish author, Fredrik Backman.
Ove is the quintessential angry old man next door. An isolated retiree with strict principles and a short fuse, who spends his days enforcing block association rules that only he cares about, and visiting his wife's grave, Ove has given up on life. After a boisterous young family moves in next door and accidentally flattens Ove's mailbox, an unlikely friendship forms.
I had already read another book by Fredrik Backman, 'Britt-Marie Was Here' (recommended to me by Bindywindy) and enjoyed it so much that I had to search out Fredrik Backman's other books.
Enjoying 'A Man Called Ove' so much, that I'm going to see the film on Monday (released in UK cinemas yesterday: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/ ... ve-review/ ).

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:06 pm

Ketchup wrote:
chaggle wrote:By the way I nearly wrote one once - got up to about 70,000 words and couldn't think of an ending so I lost interest. It's on an old computer drive in my drawer - maybe I'll dig it out sometime.

It was an erotic, comedy, sci-fi, detective thriller - think Michael Crichton crossed with Ben Elton. :thumb:
Chaggle, you really ought to dig it out and bring it back to life. Books are meant to be read! and shared ... I'm thinking it's actually rather selfish of you to keep it hidden away like that , depriving the world (well, at least some of it - all of us on here to start with).
:idea: - Suggestion:
It's just the ending that's missing, so you've got the beginning and middle. How about you fish it out and start a thread here on Skeps; post up so many words a week perhaps, for all of us to enjoy. Then, when that's done, maybe we could create a little project here, where each of us could put forward ideas for the ending(?) and give you the incentive to set some time aside to work on making it complete - possibly even have a couple of alternative endings .... 8-) (?)
:shock: Couldn't possibly do that - far too embarrassing. :oops:
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:01 pm

chaggle wrote: :shock: Couldn't possibly do that - far too embarrassing. :oops:
I wouldn't worry about that - putting your ideas up for others to read and comment on is all a part of writing.

I started on a third novel some years ago but ground to a halt... must dig it out sometime!

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:10 pm

Tony.Williams wrote:
chaggle wrote: :shock: Couldn't possibly do that - far too embarrassing. :oops:
I wouldn't worry about that - putting your ideas up for others to read and comment on is all a part of writing.

I started on a third novel some years ago but ground to a halt... must dig it out sometime!
My goodness... all that stifled, hidden talent around here. I do hope the Inspiration Fairy pays you both a visit (and any other closeted scribblers around here) and knocks yer [writer's] block off - or, at the very least, helps you find the key to open the door of the closet where all that talent is suffocating and screaming out to be released!

Could we at least have a 'watch this space' drawer here on the forum? Please?

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:40 am

I suppose I could make a start by trying to retrieve it from the hard drive... :roll:
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:43 am

I've almost finished reading Jon Ronson's "The Psychopath Test". Bought for £2 from a charity shop, it centres on the test developed in the 1970s by Canadian psychologist Robert D. Hare. Jonson interviews several mass murderers and doctors who have used the test to indentify psychopathic tendencies. It is a very interesting read, approachable, and he notes several times that he and the reader are not qualified to make instant diagnoses, in spite of the temptations, as you look at some of the politicians around atm.

A little more on the test.....http://www.minddisorders.com/Flu-Inv/Ha ... klist.html

The first book by Ronson I've read, but I think I'll try one or two more. Anyone got any recommendations?

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:26 pm

bindeweede wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:43 am
The first book by Ronson I've read, but I think I'll try one or two more. Anyone got any recommendations?
All of them. I've read most of them, loved all of them.

One of them includes this brilliant piece: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/ ... .jonronson
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Only one I've read was the Men Who Stare at Goats. Definitely recommend.

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:25 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:07 pm
Only one I've read was the Men Who Stare at Goats. Definitely recommend.
Yes agreed. The film that was based on it is very different but still good. The book is a great piece of humorous scepticism.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:21 pm

I've just finished "The Scandal" by Swedish author Fredrik Backman. Ketchup mentioned 2 of his books which I've also read, "A Man Called Ove." and "Britt-Marie was Here," both very enjoyable with plenty of humour, sympathetic characters, and Backman's regular and thoughtful observations on human characteristics and behaviour. "The Scandal" is very different. Published in English in the US as "Beartown", it centres on a small, remote Swedish town where the global obsession is with ice hockey. There are Backman's usual interesting comments on the ways people act, but virtually no humour and very few sympathetic characters. Well-written and involving, but hardly a pleasant read, considering a central event.

Apparently, the book is currently being adapted for TV by the team behind "The Bridge", so it might eventually appear on the BBC4 "Scandigloom" slot - 9pm on Saturday nights. If it does, I'll watch it with interest.

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:07 am

I've started reading "The Fire Pit", by Chris Ould. This is the third (and possibly last?) book in the Faroe Islands series featuring a British detective of Faroese origin trying to understand his own history while staying on the islands - and helping to unravel some crimes while he's at it. If you like Peter May's Hebridean detective novels, or Mark Douglas-Home's Sea Detective series, you'll enjoy these. The Faroes series is particularly interesting to me as I paid a brief visit a decade ago - a fascinating place.