Late night music.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: Late night music.

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:26 pm

i don't expect anyone to be interested, but this is probably Richard Strauss's last composition - the fourth of his "Four Last Songs". sung by the wonderful Gundula Janowitz.

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:26 pm

bindeweede wrote:i don't expect anyone to be interested,
Your expectations are fulfilled then...
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Only just discovered this guy, John Martyn, even though he was apparently going a long time before his demise.

Perfect for the Late Night Music slot - though I'd happily listen to him any time of the day.

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:29 pm

Nice, smoochy, late-night tango. Lovely.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:15 am

Loussier and Satie. For me, an unexpected combination that works well.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Many thanks to chaggle for introducing me to this chap, although it was in an altogether different context. Briefly too jazzy for me in the middle, but very appealing.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:08 am

Clever chap isn't he?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

OfficialFarsideMoon

Post by OfficialFarsideMoon » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:23 am

this has been my favorite band for nearly 20 years and I can't stop listening to this new one.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:59 pm

Binders reminded me of this...

Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

polomint38

Post by polomint38 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:23 pm

chaggle wrote:Binders reminded me of this...
James Taylor is a good name, it could be improved by adding Bruce at the start though.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:31 pm

Can't resist. Gabriela Beňačková singing "Song to the Moon" from Dvořák's "Rusalka". A wonderful voice. Slightly slower than usual, but she sustains it beautifully.
English translations are available. https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q= ... +moon+text

polomint38

Post by polomint38 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Some much needed Punk

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:23 pm

Love it!

Tom_I

Post by Tom_I » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:37 pm

Here's a composer who has managed to pass me by until now - the Mexican Arturo Márquez (born 1950). Here's his Danzón No 2, with the brilliant Gustavo Dudamel and the Simón Bolívar Orchestra from Venezuela.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:18 pm

A well-known piece in a version new to me. Saint-Saens - "Danse Macabre", transcribed for piano by Liszt, and "arranged" by Horowitz. Not the best sound, and I agree with a couple of comments - recorded a bit too closely, and the piano could have been tuned better - apparent at the very end. But a spirited performance by Dmitry Masleev, aged around 26 at time of recording.
I came across a better performance/recording on medici.tv earlier today, but it does not seem to have hit YT yet.