Late night music.

Ketchup

Re: Late night music.

Post by Ketchup » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:39 pm

For fellow insomniacs ... a sort of late night music lucky bag mystery tour.

Through-the-night online radio ....

~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:40 pm

Minor late-night turbulence. My taste, and why not?

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

smudge

Post by smudge » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:41 pm

In a Mazzy Star mood

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:42 pm

smudge wrote:In a Mazzy Star mood

smudge, I like the mood and the sound, but even with reasonably good headphones and the volume up full, I can't hear the words, or most of them. I just don't know what she is on about. I've tried, honest. Perhaps my hearing is worse than I thought.

In complete contrast, here's a couple of not very well-known piano pieces from Satie. Melancholic yes, but some nice images too.

smudge

Post by smudge » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:43 pm

bindeweede wrote:
smudge, I like the mood and the sound, but even with reasonably good headphones and the volume up full, I can't hear the words, or most of them. I just don't know what she is on about. I've tried, honest. Perhaps my hearing is worse than I thought.
I wondered if that would be your feeling about it as I posted! Not a great singer in the traditional sense, but I love the mood.
bindeweede wrote:In complete contrast, here's a couple of not very well-known piano pieces from Satie. Melancholic yes, but some nice images too.

I love that first piece, thanks. I know nothing about that type of music, wish I did.

I wonder if you might like Nick Drake?

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:45 pm

Another name new to me - read up about him on Wiki.

I like the second piece. Sad what happened to him - he might have really achieved major success.

Asthmatic Camel

Post by Asthmatic Camel » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:45 pm

I don't suppose it really qualifies as late night music but I often nod off to the BBC's 1981 serialisation of The Lord of the Rings. It's very well done and I for one rather enjoy a nostalgic tingle at hearing John leMesurier and Michael Hordern, both no longer with us.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Asthmatic Camel wrote:I don't suppose it really qualifies as late night music but I often nod off to the BBC's 1981 serialisation of The Lord of the Rings. It's very well done and I for one rather enjoy a nostalgic tingle at hearing John leMesurier and Michael Hordern, both no longer with us.
Late-night spoken words can also be very soothing, when delivered by those blessed with suitable voices. The Shipping Forecast on Radio 4 just before 1am can be amazingly restful.

I have just had a quick run through this entire thread, and it is so sad that many YouTube clips are no longer available. Well, here is another great fave of mine, vintage 1971 - the fabulous Roberta Flack - again. I could do without the "heavenly" chorus, but the voice and the cellos combine to make something very special for me.

smudge

Post by smudge » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:48 pm

bindeweede wrote:Another name new to me - read up about him on Wiki.

I like the second piece. Sad what happened to him - he might have really achieved major success.
A great shame.
Strangely, he is a actually now rather 'successful' despite having died with very little recognition. It is remarkable how often I will hear a Nick Drake piece as soundtrack to a TV programme and the number of modern pop/rock/indie musicians citing him as an influence is notable.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:49 pm

I have no idea about the harp as an instrument but this looks amazing to me. What do you think Binders?

It looks incredibly hard on the hands - something I know about as a guitarist.

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/harprusialg2
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:50 pm

Amazing indeed. A lovely piece and what a talent!. I didn't think she'd be able to reach the bottom string, but she did. I'd have like to see her use of the pedals as well.

I don't know much about the harp either, but I expect even young players will develop tougher skin on their fingers.

http://harpinfo.blackandgoldharp.com/FAQ.html

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:50 pm

bindeweede wrote:Amazing indeed. A lovely piece and what a talent!. I didn't think she'd be able to reach the bottom string, but she did. I'd have like to see her use of the pedals as well.

I don't know much about the harp either, but I expect even young players will develop tougher skin on their fingers.

http://harpinfo.blackandgoldharp.com/FAQ.html
Interesting. I would like to see how the pedals work. At about 1:38 she does a three note scale on one string that can only be achieved by pedals I think.

The whole performance looks impossibly ... umm .. impossible to me. The hand (and presumably foot) coordination and the thought processes involved are difficult to comprehend.

I guess that's much the same as for all expertise though - seems impossible to the inexpert eye. As a guitarist, even I think that of a good flamenco guitarist.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:52 pm

bindeweede wrote:Suiting me quite nicely atm.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Lovely images, lovely song and Eva. Just in the mood.......

Asthmatic Camel

Post by Asthmatic Camel » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Rather lovely humanist hymns from my skeptical friend Matthew Fields.

https://soundcloud.com/composer-1-1/thr ... nist_hymns