drat that earworm

Tony.Williams

drat that earworm

Post by Tony.Williams » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:43 am

I've recently been on a nostalgia kick, having discovered that YouTube has lots of videos of pop songs from my youthful days (yep, I'm a bit slow with this sort of thing, and rarely look at YouTube). Some of them are still well worth listening to. I recall enjoying Mary Hopkins' songs when I was a teenager, and there was one which was never famous (it was only a B-side) but on listening to it again a couple of times it got firmly stuck in my mind for a day or two.

It's called "Sparrow" and is rather hymn-like, with nice key shifts and a cool sax ending. IMO the best thing she did.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu66eabdSrQ

chaggle

Re: drat that earworm

Post by chaggle » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:30 pm

I was a bit more of a Sabbath / Zeppelin teen myself. :clap

(kidding a bit - I tend to like 'pop' - harmonies and so on)

I noticed that the suggested similar videos included some songs by a band called Mary Hopkin and Oasis. This piqued my interest as it seemed an unlikely collaboration to say the least - can't think that Hopkin and the Gallagher boys have a lot in common musically or any other way.

Anyway it seems that Oasis was a 1980s collaboration between Mary, Julian Lloyd Webber, Peter Skellern and others.

New one on me. :con
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: drat that earworm

Post by bindeweede » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:54 pm

Tony.Williams wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:43 am

It's called "Sparrow" and is rather hymn-like, with nice key shifts and a cool sax ending. IMO the best thing she did.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu66eabdSrQ
Thanks Tony. Don't think I've ever heard that before. I always liked her light, clear voice, though in that recording, I could have done without the "heavenly chorus". Agree about the sax ending.