"The Bridge".

bindeweede
Site Admin

"The Bridge".

Post by bindeweede » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:31 am

The Swedish/Danish series concluded this evening. I found it bleak, but absorbing, if a bit protracted. And I doubt it will have done much for either the Swedish or Danish Tourist Boards.

In both series, I found the signature tune quite hypnotic, but I had no idea what language, or combination of languages was involved. Yes, a few English words could be detected at the end of the bit used in the TV programme.

This is a live performance I found on YouTube, so I expect not identical to what they used on the TV prog.

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Anyone like to give a transcription? Possibly not, so here is the text. I can't say I'm any better off, but I hope someone here might be able to explain the lyrics.

http://www.midsummerseve.com/fora/threa ... 398&page=2

Tony Williams

Re: "The Bridge".

Post by Tony Williams » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:32 am

I love that programme, but have yet to see the final episodes - they're sitting on my recorder (so no spoilers please!). I particularly enjoy Sofia Helin's portrayal of Saga Noren; the way in which she is always totally logical, and the alarm and discomfort this causes to those around her, is hilarious. If I may adopt what I understand is the current vernacular for a moment, she is "totes amazeballs" :roll:

I also find it amusing that just as we Brits love "Scandi Noir", the Scandinavians are besotted with Midsomer Murders. I understand that Death in Paradise goes down well, too - but I have to admit I like that one, not least for the DS who causes steam to rise from my TV every time she's on screen :ro

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:32 am

I watched the last 2 episodes last night - just brilliant - love it! I have friends who won't watch subtitled stuff, I have no problem with it and find I forget I am reading them and have got up to do something and wondered why I suddenly don't know what is being said!
Love the theme song too...thanks for the link BW

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:33 am

Yes, I don't mind sub-titles at all - infinitely preferable to dubbing in the dialogue, which I hate. It's actually quite interesting to hear the foreign language.

I'm another who likes the theme tune. I recall that there was also terrific theme for the Swedish TV version of Wallander, starring Krister Henriksson, which is by far the best version IMO (there are supposed to be some more on the way!).

I'm not sure if these were the themes I was thinking of, but here is a couple of songs which featured on the series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w098rz-rdiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmInifeZkzY

polomint38

Post by polomint38 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:34 am

Tinkerbell wrote:I watched the last 2 episodes last night - just brilliant - love it! I have friends who won't watch subtitled stuff, I have no problem with it and find I forget I am reading them and have got up to do something and wondered why I suddenly don't know what is being said!
Love the theme song too...thanks for the link BW
I find subtitles off putting (not because I am illiterate, before anyone says anything).
I am currently watching the American version of "The Bridge", it is very good, but I am not sure how it compares as I haven't seen the original.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2406376‎
Wikipedia

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:35 am

I finally got around to watching the last couple of episodes, which set up a couple of nice situations to address in the third series that I gather is now in production.

I'm also half-way through The Tunnel, which is the Anglo-French version which first appeared last year on Sky (which I don't have) but is now available on DVD. This sticks closely to the plot of the original except that the first body is of course found exactly half-way along the Channel Tunnel's service tunnel so both police forces have to cooperate. There is the same kind of relationship between the socially awkward woman cop (French, played by Clémence Poésy) and her more genial British counterpart (Stephen Dillane).

Taken by itself The Tunnel is pretty good, but of course it lacks any plot originality and also the Scandinavian flavour (although that is hardly a novelty any more). Dillane is actually much better than his Danish original IMO - much easier to understand and relate to (well, he is British after all!). However, Poésy brings only a pale shadow of Sofia Helin's fierce intensity to the role - which means that the lead character effectively becomes the man rather than the woman.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:41 pm

I see the third series started almost two weeks ago - still have to catch up on episodes 3 and 4. Saga hasn't changed much........... ;)

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:31 am

I watched the first episode of S3 but it didn't grab me this time. I had the feeling that Sofia Helin was overplaying Saga's characteristics, she seemed a bit like a caricature. The disappearance of Martin didn't help, either. And the currently fashionable approach of running several apparently unrelated plot lines in parallel for a long period is beginning to weary me.

Apart from that, it was great! :)

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:15 am

Yes, I agree with Tony, the actress might be slightly overplaying Saga now but it makes me laugh every time she is so to the point and it's the best thing on at the moment imo

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:49 am

There is much more toned-down - but still very funny - version of this kind of character in the second series of Beck (yet another Swedish detective series which has been shown on BBC4).

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:56 pm

Tinkerbell wrote: I have friends who won't watch subtitled stuff, I have no problem with it and find I forget I am reading them and have got up to do something and wondered why I suddenly don't know what is being said!
I've been doing this with Les Revenants / The Returned. As it is in slang French with many English words I understand half of it anyway. Then I look away from the screen for some reason or other and suddenly become confused as to why they are speaking gobbledegook. Someone says "J'Allais The Lake Pub" and I know what they are saying so I don't need to read the subtitle, then the reply is a complex sentence about geology in the past imperfect and my brain freezes.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:13 am

Tony Williams wrote:There is much more toned-down - but still very funny - version of this kind of character in the second series of Beck (yet another Swedish detective series which has been shown on BBC4).
I did watch an episode of 'Beck' but it just seemed awfully dated somehow. I think it was quite an old series....

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:03 am

Tinkerbell wrote:
Tony Williams wrote:There is much more toned-down - but still very funny - version of this kind of character in the second series of Beck (yet another Swedish detective series which has been shown on BBC4).
I did watch an episode of 'Beck' but it just seemed awfully dated somehow. I think it was quite an old series....
I enjoyed the "Beck" series too. Series One actually dates back to 1997, so yes, an old feel to them. Series 6 is due out early 2016, possibly to replace this third series of "The Bridge", which is coming to its conclusion.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Comment from a Facebook Friend today.
Was up till 3 watching the final two episodes of the bridge.
To say I feel emotionally exhausted and scared doesn't come close. What a final episode, didn't see that coming at all.
I still have the final episode to see.......later tonight I expect.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:08 am

bindeweede wrote:Comment from a Facebook Friend today.
Was up till 3 watching the final two episodes of the bridge.
To say I feel emotionally exhausted and scared doesn't come close. What a final episode, didn't see that coming at all.
I still have the final episode to see.......later tonight I expect.
Watched the last 2 episodes last night. I really was on the edge of my seat! Just brilliant.