Question Time.

Tony Williams

Question Time.

Post by Tony Williams »

I should start by admitting that I don't enjoy Question Time - it's on only because my BH likes it. I usually end up yelling abuse at the stupidity and ill manners on display, Dimbleby apparently only concerned with generating as much aggro as possible.

The most recent one had Russell Brand on the panel, who had obviously been matched against Nigel Farage in the hope of some headline-generating spat (which worked, unfortunately). I have never seen anything Brand has featured in but have formed a negative view of him from what I've heard and video clips I've seen - a view which was strongly reinforced by his performance this time. His sweeping statement that profit should have no place in the NHS was typical. So that means that all of the suppliers of goods, equipment, drugs, utilities and ancillary services to the NHS shouldn't be allowed to make any profits, then? If they tried to insist on a "non-profit" clause the suppliers would refuse to sell to them and the NHS would immediately grind to a complete halt.

In complete contrast, also on the panel was Camilla Cavendish, a Times columnist who I've never heard of before but who was obviously far too intelligent, well-informed, rational and reasonable to be on that programme. No doubt she won't be asked again.
chaggle

Re: Question Time.

Post by chaggle »

I picked up on exactly what you picked up on so not for the first time I conclude that you are, in fact, me.

Brand is a pseudo-political nonentity who appeals to the lowest level of intelligence - the kind of people who clap and cheer when he utters such unclever soundbites as 'pound-shop Enoch Powell'. He is entirely negative - sticking to the easy bits like rabble rousing without attempting the difficult stuff like proposing solutions.

If The Times woman were asked back I'd like to think she'd refuse.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony Williams

Re: Question Time.

Post by Tony Williams »

chaggle wrote:
I picked up on exactly what you picked up on so not for the first time I conclude that you are, in fact, me.
Now you've got me worried. I think I'm still me, but who can be sure these days?
If The Times woman were asked back I'd like to think she'd refuse.
She did rather have the look of someone who was wondering what kind of zoo she'd ended up in.