Sainsbury's 2014 Christmas advert.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Sainsbury's 2014 Christmas advert.

Post by bindeweede »

It was first broadcast on the 12th, I think, and has become controversial. While beautifully made, I personally find a supermarket appearing to attempt to cash in on WW1 totally distasteful. And I don't care if the British Legion is making money or not.

Thoughts?

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Tinkerbell

Re: Sainsbury's 2014 Christmas advert.

Post by Tinkerbell »

I confess it brought a tear to my eye.....and it's better than kids and Penguins imo
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

bindeweede wrote:It was first broadcast on the 12th, I think, and has become controversial. While beautifully made, I personally find a supermarket appearing to attempt to cash in on WW1 totally distasteful. And I don't care if the British Legion is making money or not.

Thoughts?
Anyone who has ever been an expat away from home for any length of time (epecially in a war zone area, where restrictions/sanctions are in place and 'home comfort reminders' such as chocolate,etc are generally unavailable luxuries) will be able to understand the effectiveness of such a campaign, and the importance and poignancy of Sainsbury's (in particular) in such a situation. To this day, if you were to ask a plane load of expats returning home on leave from such a location - some of them perhaps having spent 6 months on an oil rig in the desert - "What are you most looking forward to when you get home? What's most missed?", the uppermost answer from all would be (apart from hugs all round with family of course) - "Sainsbury's" ! It's true! I've actually seen it happen - and agreed with them!

I can't really see that it's hurting or taking advantage of anyone, other than being a well thought-out and most effective advertisement/sales pitch, aimed probably at the vast amount of home-comers and family reunions traditionally taking place around the Christmas holiday period. Certainly far more tolerable than the awfully annoying Woolworth's ads (for instance) or furniture sales ones that come out around this time, with silly grinning families prancing around the place to some dreadful [supposed to be background] music, attacking all your senses at regular intervals and which seem to go on for ever and ever and ever and ...

I reckon it could even be a contender for 'Advert of the Year' (the Sainsbury's one, I mean).
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

I'm sure I posted on this yesterday. :sh

I think both adverts are very well made.

I was worried about the Sainsbury's one until it was revealed that it was made with the cooperation of the RBL - I think it's acceptable.

There have been a fair few complaints though...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3J5bUehwH
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Zep

Post by Zep »

I like it. Heartwarming and appropriate 100 years on from the industrial bloodbath that was WW1. Perhaps over-dramatising the facts, but the event did indeed happen more or less as shown on that date. Does it promote Sainsbury's? I don't know - their name appears only briefly at the end. If it helps the RBL then all to the good.
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

chaggle wrote:There have bee a fair few complaints though...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3J5bUehwH
No doubt Paul McCartney will be contacting his lawyers to obtain rights, or something ...
Paul McCartney fans said today the new Sainsbury's Christmas advert enjoys a remarkable resemblance to a major pop video from 1983.

The former Beatle spent two weeks at number one with anti-war song Pipes of Peace, and in the video he recreated the famous Christmas Day truce in 1914.

In the video McCartney played the parts of a British soldier, and his German counterpart, who shake hands in no man's land, play a game of football and exchange gifts - the same sequence seen in the new Sainsbury's advert.

Jonny Morris tweeted: 'Well done, Sainsbury's. You've made the video for Pipes of Peace without Pipes of Peace'.

Nik Wood-Jones wrote: 'Nice try @sainsburys but for a more realistic imagining of the 1914 #Christmas Truce, I prefer #Macca Pipes of Peace!' and Rachel Borland said: 'Love the sainsburys ad but macca did it first!'

MailOnline has compared images from the two films so you can decide for yourself, with the McCartney video at the top and the Sainsbury's advert at the bottom of each frame.
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

'Love the sainsburys ad but macca did it first!'
Funny - I thought some German and British soldiers did it first....

Ah, but of course - they didn't make a film of it so it didn't really happen :y
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

This is a fascinating article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30433729

It seems that the 1914 Christmas truce wasn't a one-day wonder involving a football match, it was widespread and in some cases went on for weeks. No wonder the military and political leadership were upset...