Buster Keaton and his stunts.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Buster Keaton and his stunts.

Post by bindeweede » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:16 pm

Apparently he did most of them himself.
Undeterred, Keaton claimed that he never refused a stunt, however dangerous; in fact, he frequently doubled for other actors when they needed to take a fall. That’s because he was a pro, who had learned to land soft and withstand a few knocks from his childhood in vaudeville, playing The Little Boy Who Can’t Be Damaged in a family act. For Keaton, it was almost second nature to “land like a cat”, using the art he called “body control”.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... ilm-stunts

Here's a clip I came across earlier today. Some obvious editing with the tree part, but still impressive stuff.

Croydon13013

Re: Buster Keaton and his stunts.

Post by Croydon13013 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:17 pm

Shirley everyone did their own stunts back in Keaton's day? Harold Lloyd is famous for doing dangerous stunts despite having lost a thumb and finger in a stunt gone wrong.

Keaton was still clever and funny even in old age: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evIrGzBcJ64
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:26 am

bindeweede wrote: Here's a clip I came across earlier today. Some obvious editing with the tree part, but still impressive stuff.
Yes, impressive - even if those rocks look suspiciously regular and lightweight! ;)

I have tripped and fallen forwards quite heavily a few times recently (mostly I think because some unfamiliar varifocal glasses caused me to misjudge kerbs etc). But I have twisted sideways to avoid hitting face-first, and have escaped with minor shoulder bruises. That is an entirely instinctive reaction, I have never trained to fall nor done any sports which involve falling. I did wonder about it because a woman I know broke a tooth in a similar incident so obviously lacked the same reflexes.

Has anyone done any relevant research into the way people fall? Given our ageing population....

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:22 am

I noticed that one bounced off him at 3:18.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con