TV Satire

Post Reply
Tony.Williams
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

TV Satire

Post by Tony.Williams » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:25 pm

I was watching Charlie Brooker's 2016 Wipe the other day, and my gast was flabbered to see a clip from a TV programme in which women were closely inspecting various men's dangly bits to decide which they preferred.

With this kind of thing getting broadcast, I think that the satirists might as well go home and find a different career; TV can satirise itself perfectly well without any outside help.

Croydon13013
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: TV Satire

Post by Croydon13013 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:31 pm

I was at a pub meeting a few months ago, talking to around 10 people, all SF fans, and skeptics bar one. I was astonished to discover that I was the only person in the group who hadn't watched every episode of the programme. I'd seen about 10 minutes of one episode before getting bored and turning over. Everyone else was able to discuss various contestants and their assets. The way to get good TV ratings seems obvious - more dangly bits.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tony.Williams
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: TV Satire

Post by Tony.Williams » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Croydon13013 wrote:The way to get good TV ratings seems obvious - more dangly bits.
Sadly, there seems to be no depths that human interest won't plumb as long as it is officially regarded as "acceptable".

I do wonder if Game of Thrones (which I stopped watching after the first couple of seasons when I became bored with it) would have attracted anything like the same audiences if it hadn't included lots of bare bosoms. Not that I am particularly complaining about that - there are certain depths which I am happy to plumb, and of course it's all in the interests of good drama :y

User avatar
chaggle
Posts: 2361
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 am

Re: TV Satire

Post by chaggle » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:53 pm

Was the programme called something like Naked Attraction?

I stumbled upon it and it had a sort of hypnotic fascination - bit like being unable to tear your gaze away from a deformity.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

User avatar
polomint38
Posts: 657
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: TV Satire

Post by polomint38 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:56 am

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)


User avatar
bindeweede
Site Admin
Posts: 3444
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: TV Satire

Post by bindeweede » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:18 pm

I've only just read this thread. Not seen the programme discussed, but for tea, I had (very small) sausage, mushroom and bacon casserole. Feeling a bit queasy.....

Croydon13013
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: TV Satire

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:45 am

The main discussion around Charlie Brooker's 2016 Wipe seems to be about political bias.

Although he made a series of jokes about Corbyn he said nothing about May at all. And what he said about Corbyn was a bit unfair. Mentioning Traingate to attack the Labour Leader rather than Branson and Virgin who lied about the incident doesn't seem to be satirism at its best. Neither is accusing Corbyn of anti-Semitism. Apparently there was a bit of an on-line reaction because the press have now counter reacted by attacking the left for having no sense of humour and defending Brooker's right to join the shite-throwing campaign.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Matt
Posts: 874
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: TV Satire

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Croydon13013 wrote:The main discussion around Charlie Brooker's 2016 Wipe seems to be about political bias.

Although he made a series of jokes about Corbyn he said nothing about May at all. And what he said about Corbyn was a bit unfair. Mentioning Traingate to attack the Labour Leader rather than Branson and Virgin who lied about the incident doesn't seem to be satirism at its best. Neither is accusing Corbyn of anti-Semitism. Apparently there was a bit of an on-line reaction because the press have now counter reacted by attacking the left for having no sense of humour and defending Brooker's right to join the shite-throwing campaign.
From memory

Haunted art gallery owner Theresa May
Nutty Dance
Brexit means Breakfast

She got at least a mention, as did the rest of her tory cronies and their disastrous brexit plans.

Tony.Williams
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Still somewhere in England
Contact:

Re: TV Satire

Post by Tony.Williams » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Matt wrote: She got at least a mention, as did the rest of her tory cronies and their disastrous brexit plans.
I recall multiple clips of her saying "Brexit means Brexit" on different occasions, and IIRC the "red white and blue Brexit" got a showing as well.

Matt
Posts: 874
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: TV Satire

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Tony.Williams wrote:
Matt wrote: She got at least a mention, as did the rest of her tory cronies and their disastrous brexit plans.
I recall multiple clips of her saying "Brexit means Brexit" on different occasions, and IIRC the "red white and blue Brexit" got a showing as well.
Oh yes I forgot "no other colour will do" That was crying out to be explored further. Given that it applies to half the flags of Europe but that she has no mandate for the blue part of our flag.

Croydon13013
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: TV Satire

Post by Croydon13013 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Tony.Williams wrote:
Matt wrote: She got at least a mention, as did the rest of her tory cronies and their disastrous brexit plans.
I recall multiple clips of her saying "Brexit means Brexit" on different occasions, and IIRC the "red white and blue Brexit" got a showing as well.
I should probably watch it myself rather than rely on third-hand accounts. :oops:
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Post Reply