Post by Matt » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Oh my goodness he's second favourite
https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/br ... ive-leader

Tony.Williams

Re: On the PM.

Post by Tony.Williams » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Croydon13013 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21 pm

True, but I very much noticed what Chaggle did. It was all about saving the Tories not the country.
Presumably they believe that whatever is good for their party must, by definition, be good for the country.

There is of course an even more important priority for the candidates, which usually goes unspoken: saving their careers.

MPs generally have a similar priority order in choosing their new leader, with the most important criterion being "which one has the best chance of maximising the Tory vote in the next general election (long may it be deferred) and thereby preserving my nicely-paid job?" :ey

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:29 am

Rees-Mogg on GMB saying exactly the same thing - 'If we don't leave on 31st October there won't be a Conservative party left to lead'.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:39 pm

And of course from his point of view, that's a bad thing.

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Now the first TV debate is over, it will be interesting to see what impact (if any) it has on the polls. My impression was that Raab did the worst (in terms of what he said and how the audience reacted to him); Hunt was probably the next worst; Javid next, then Gove - but Stewart gained more applause than the rest of them put together. How much did Johnson's absence hurt him, I wonder?

Of course, what the general public thinks of the candidates isn't what matters - it's their fellow MPs they need to impress, and It's hard to see how Stewart will gain enough extra votes even to get to the next round, let alone the last two. Johnson now seems near unbeatable as so many MPs are supporting him (although they have been known to change their minds), and senior Tories are now angling for cabinet posts..

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:34 am

Despite the above, BoJo, Gove and Hunt supporters are reportedly panicking about the surge behind Stewart's bid. The Telegraph is even suggesting that Stewart might have been an MI6 spy - which might backfire, as it could boost his popular status no end. He would have to deny it, of course, but if he becomes PM and his official limo changes to an Aston Martin, we will know... :thumb: