Expedia's Accent Map of the British Isles.

YouTube clips etc to accompany a nice cup of tea.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Expedia's Accent Map of the British Isles.

Post by bindeweede » Sat May 14, 2016 9:01 pm

A bit of fun, best perhaps for non-UK visitors. (I did find the Birmingham one rather strange.)

Click "Play" then on the speaker icon top right.

https://accent-map.expedia.co.uk

Croydon13013

Re: Expedia's Accent Map of the British Isles.

Post by Croydon13013 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:25 am

Slightly different, but not worth a new thread. English is, not surprisingly, the most commonly spoken language in London. Here's a map of the second most commonly spoken first language in each London Borough. So it isn't counting people who primarily speak English but also have other languages; this is identifying the populations who generally speak other languages. It throws up some curious results, I'd like to know more:

http://laria.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/ ... London.jpg
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » Mon May 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Fascinating!

Some of it is obvious (the Arabic speakers concentrated in the wealthiest part) but I never would have thought there were so many Lithuanians - there aren't all that many in their own country!

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:52 pm

Tony Williams wrote:Fascinating!

Some of it is obvious (the Arabic speakers concentrated in the wealthiest part) but I never would have thought there were so many Lithuanians - there aren't all that many in their own country!
There don't need to be many to feature on that map, it could be less than 1% of the population. Just needs more Lithuanians than Poles or Frogs or Arabs, etc.

I'm surprised that Tamil comes out top in Croydon, I'd have guessed Polish. But I suppose many of the East Europeans here are Latvian, Lithuanian, etc (I know the ones who live in the shed of the house behind mine are Latvian). All their shops are Polish, no other East European shops but at least 5 or 6 Polski Skleps, including a smallish supermarket. and we have three or four Turkish Supermarkets, all in one road, but no obviously Indian/Tamil shops. I thought that most of the Curry Houses were run by people whose ethnic origin was Bangladeshi, but I may be wrong or out of date on that.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon May 16, 2016 4:46 pm

sklepy - shops are sklepy. I have no idea why I know that.

In at least one area of Bristol, Spanish would be the second first language. That's happened in the last 5 years.

Almost certainly Polish in Weston super Mare. After Brummie that is. Place is full of Brummies.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Wed May 18, 2016 1:06 pm

bindeweede wrote:A bit of fun, best perhaps for non-UK visitors. (I did find the Birmingham one rather strange.)

Click "Play" then on the speaker icon top right.

https://accent-map.expedia.co.uk

I got 10 out of 10 :D
CONGRATULATIONS!

You got 10 out of 10

Accent Ace - From Land's End to John O'Groats, you've heard them all!
... even though they've given the Belfast accent as the overall 'Northern Ireland' accent
and Dublin accent is given as 'Southern Ireland'

Don't they know that there are 32 counties in the whole of Ireland, all of which have totally distinguishable different accents?
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » Wed May 18, 2016 9:25 pm

I can't claim to be any kind of expert on accents, but it does intrigue me that Irish accents vary from the gorgeously seductive (which I associate with the south) to the gratingly dissonant (which seems to come from the north).

Asthmatic Camel

Post by Asthmatic Camel » Thu May 19, 2016 4:51 pm

No signs of the Manchester accent. :sh