BEER! beerbeerbeer!

YouTube clips etc to accompany a nice cup of tea.
bindeweede
Site Admin

BEER! beerbeerbeer!

Post by bindeweede »

We have a whisky thread, so this is the beer thread. Talk here about beer. Talk here WITH beer if you like, just don't spill it.

I'll start the conversation!
  • NO! I don't want to talk about Fosters. It's not really beer. "Your horse has diabetes." "Love on a beach." Blech.
  • A local liquor retailer is now importing UK beers, ales and stouts, etc. I'm very keen to try some of them. First two that struck my eye were: Theakston's Old Peculiar, and Morland's Old Specked Hen. Would anyone care to describe them for me? I am beer-curious!
  • Add your own selections to the list, and praise or damn them.
ImageImage

Tony Williams

Re: BEER! beerbeerbeer!

Post by Tony Williams »

I'm a long-standing member of the Campaign for Real Ale (I actually became enthusiastic about the brew in the mid-1970s after previously drinking the keg on general offer at the time), so I have form in this subject.

For newcomers to English ale, I have better start by saying that it varies hugely in flavour, strength (c.3.5-10+% ABV) and colour. Also, a lot of it is still pasteurised and filtered (as was keg) so does not qualify as "real ale". Beer competitions are divided into several separate categories accordingly. Next point to note is that real ale is best drunk from the cask, not from bottles. Most bottled ale is pasteurised and filtered so that it keeps longer: RAIB (Real Ale in a Bottle) is relatively rare because it has a short bottle life unless it is very strong.

As it happens, a couple of days ago I visited the Thornbridge Brewery in Bakewell, which brews a wide range of beers in great variety, and sells them in bottles as well as to pubs. Naturally I took a selection home with me and they are excellent. Another brewery not far away is Buxton, who again make excellent, very bitter, beer which is achieving international success. These are both "micro-breweries" (albeit fairly large ones), which have a much smaller output of beer than the big national companies so their products are harder to find even in the UK, let alone abroad.

The two beers you illustrate are long-standing products of big breweries. I haven't drunk either of them for quite a while, as I prefer to look for more interesting stuff. They are certainly worth trying, though, and you'll find them very different from Fosters.

One note of warning, they should be drunk cool but not chilled. If you drink them straight from the fridge you will get little of their flavour. Around 12-15 degrees C is about right.

Good drinking! :cheer

Zep

Post by Zep »

Preparation tips noted, Tony! I stand to be educated.

We have been importing English beers and ales here for a while, but only a limited selection of well-known labels (e.g. Guinness). But with the boom in micro-breweries world-wide, the competition is now quite fierce. I selected these two for consideration only because of the eye-catching labels. I've not drunk them, but will try a sample shortly and hopefully report.

PS. I won't be comparing them to Fosters, because (a) it's actually not sold here much at all, and (b) it's rat's piss, which explains point (a).

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

;) Maybe I'll start a vodka thread....

Zep

Post by Zep »

Tinkerbell wrote: Maybe I'll start a vodka thread....
I don't see why not! :)

polomint38

Post by polomint38 »

Zep wrote: We have been importing English beers and ales here for a while, but only a limited selection of well-known labels (e.g. Guinness).
Guinness is Irish not English, it was brewed in Park Royal, London between 1938 and 2005, with production for the UK market moving to the original Guinness brewery at St James's Gate, Dublin.

Asthmatic Camel

Post by Asthmatic Camel »

url=http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/bottles.html,/url one of England's smaller traditional breweries, do a good range of bottled beers I know they export to the USA but am unsure about Australia.

My local independent brewery url=http://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/ url also exports quite widely and produces limited but interesting range of bottled beers; "Old Tom" is one of the best barley wines around.

Zep

Post by Zep »

polomint38 wrote:
Zep wrote: We have been importing English beers and ales here for a while, but only a limited selection of well-known labels (e.g. Guinness).
Guinness is Irish not English, it was brewed in Park Royal, London between 1938 and 2005, with production for the UK market moving to the original Guinness brewery at St James's Gate, Dublin.
Understood. FYI, for Australians, it's all from "over there".

Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

Guinness is also not real beer. It is factory made as a syrup and mixed with fizzy water.

Old Peculiar is dark like Guinness but tastes different, doesn't have the cloudy oaty thing going on.

Speckled Hen is like a bitter with a touch of brown ale. A slight nuttiness to the taste.

I recommend Old Bob. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=ridleys+old ... afe=active

But really you should try any English bottled beer. Go for a few of different colours, different strengths, different brewerys. All lager tastes pretty much the same, but real beers have 100 times the variation. You are unlikely to like all of them. People who are used to lager often prefer the light summer ales or IPAs. People who are used to Guinness often like the dark porters and milds.

I'd also warn that bottled beers don't always travel well. A bit of warming on route can turn some of the alcohol to vinegar and then you get a taste experience that is not the one that we enjoy so much. Beer from an Australian microbrewery, if available, might actually taste better than UK import.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an

Zep

Post by Zep »

Thanks for the info!

We have always had many different beers here, not just the proverbial lager. More popular these days are the IPAs and ale-styles. Here's a very short sample, from James Squire breweries.

They also do one of my current favourites - 150 Lashes Pale Ale

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

Zep wrote: They also do one of my current favourites - 150 Lashes Pale Ale
:o

Zep

Post by Zep »

OK, I've started sampling some UK beers available here. I'm well aware these are "commercial" and barely scratch the range available in the Old Dart. Here's a selection of just a few in one vendor's fridge. Some pre-consumption comments on them would be very welcome, good, bad and laughable.

Zep

Post by Zep »

First off the rank for review: Morland - Old Speckled Hen

Liked the colour on this one, first up - good rich amber ale. First taste was very malty and slightly fruit & nut with a nice bitterness, but also not a lot of body. After a while it started to get a"fluffy" feel, for want of a better word, like ale-flavoured froth. I had to sip it slowly to get any taste beyond the malt & bitter.

polomint38

Post by polomint38 »

The Beer Hunter - Best of British
Starring Michael Jackson, who looks very different when off duty and not performing on stage, at this stage he still sports an impressive Afro, but is also going for the beard and glasses, to keep anonymity while filming.

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

chaggle

Post by chaggle »

WRT English beers in hot countries - they don't really work - it has to be lager.

I had a bar here in the south of Spain until 18 months ago and we sold London Pride and a couple of others in bottles brought out of Gibraltar but it wasn't to my taste at all.

In Gibraltar they sell fizzy bitter on draught and, I hear, also some draught 'real' ales but I wouldn't bother with them.

Soon we will be living back in the UK and I am looking forward to supping real draught ale in its proper environment.

The current favourite where we will be is Doom Bar from Cornwall and Butcombe from Somerset.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con