Photobucket

Ketchup

Photobucket

Post by Ketchup » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:28 pm

I don't know if anyone here uses Photobucket - but they are the latest money-grabbing outfit to be causing chaos and disruption across the net, affecting forums, blogs and all forms of social media. Apt change of name also (as per the following article): :mrgreen:

Photobucket says photo-f**k-it, starts off-site image shakedown
No more freeloading graphics, it wants its $400-a-year cut

From The Register - Biting the hand that feeds IT ®
Photobucket is cracking down on people embedding on third-party websites images it hosts, until now, for free.
The photo-slinging internet elder now says that anyone who wants to use its service to display photos it hosts on other pages – such as signature banners in forum posts – will now need to open up their wallets and plop down $399.99 a year for a subscription plan.
The new policy will be particularly annoying to longtime users who have relied on Photobucket's 14-year-old service to host the images they use to place images on forums or in blog posts.
Cheaper plans, including the free account option, will no longer have an option to allow third-party hosting.

The change of heart was quietly introduced by Photobucket earlier this week as an update to its terms of service.
On the one hand, it's reasonable for Photobucket to ask for some help in footing its bandwidth bills for serving up images for folks on other websites; on the other hand, it will break a lot of graphics posted on the 'net and inlined in forums and blogs.
"Photobucket defines 3rd-party hosting as the action of embedding an image or photo onto another website," the updated T&Cs read.
"For example, using the (img) tag to embed or display a JPEG image from your Photobucket account on another website such as a forum, Etsy, eBay auction listings, a blog, etc, is definitively 3rd-party hosting."
Not surprisingly, the new rules went over with users about as well as a rattlesnake in a pinata... ®
Some of the reaction so far on the net:
Hope you go out of business with this strategy. Not paying a $400 ransom, I'll find someone else to host my pictures.
8:43 PM - 29 Jun 2017
Special congrats to @photobucket for killing their own site. No more 3rd party image hosting unless I pay $400/year? I'll go elsewhere, ty.
5:03 PM - 29 Jun 2017
Anyone else surprised #photobucket isn't offering Bitcoin as the only method of payment?
9:15 PM - 29 Jun 2017
you are a DISGUSTING company @photobucket this is 100% blackmail. I have years of blog content on your platform, now forcing to pay 400/year
6:53 PM - 27 Jun 2017
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/3 ... party_pgs/
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~

bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: Photobucket

Post by bindeweede » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:37 pm

When I first got interested in forums, I used Photobucket, but quickly found it unreliable, so I moved to Imageshack. But that also became unreliable, so for years now, I've used Imgur. I suppose it is a bit fiddly, but you soon find your way around, and photos I saved there several years ago are still available. And there's no sign of them introducing a charge, as far as I know. They just ask people with accounts not to use an adblocker, which I'd say is fair enough.

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:10 pm

I did use Photobucket a lot. I'm still going through various now disrupted places, trying to rectify & replace lost or ruined images.

There are a few alternatives to PB being bandied around for consideration. This one seems pretty much OK (for the moment anyway!): https://postimages.org/

Sparkles

Post by Sparkles » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:57 pm

Ketchup, is that site easy to use? I too used PB and now am trying to find an alternative...
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed.” William Shakespeare :P

Ashley.S.

Post by Ashley.S. » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:14 pm

I remember using PostImage back in the day, it was always very reliable to me ;)
Kind Regards,
Ashley.S. [ Your friendly web hosting provider ]

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:03 pm

I have my own website, so I just post stuff there.

Ketchup

Post by Ketchup » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:19 am

Tony.Williams wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:03 pm
I have my own website, so I just post stuff there.
I have my own website(s) (forums) too - but much of the design on each of these I had customised using images downloaded from the PB site. (I didn't have an account with PB, but it was a great source for finding alternative descriptive icons/buttons etc to use on your own website. When PB introduced their new strategy, massive disruption was caused throughout because every one of those images was replaced with a big black intrusive box, with wording to the effect that if you wanted to view those images you had to now pay big Dollars for the privilege.

Sparkles wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:57 pm
Ketchup, is that site easy to use? I too used PB and now am trying to find an alternative...
PostImages is OK - but not really suitable for my requirements. Google Images is the only other site I have found that works in a similar way to PB (i.e. search image by text), but their overall content is lacking in comparison.

JonDonnis

Post by JonDonnis » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:00 am

I got caught out having hotlinked some photobucket images from a decade ago! lol
Also worth noting that photobucket also started hijacking pages too, mainly from my forum, so if you ever have anything like this happen, look for photobucket code

JonDonnis

Post by JonDonnis » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 am

ps. If you need to hotlink then imgur is the best for now.