"Why We Think Cats Are Psychopaths."

bindeweede
Site Admin

"Why We Think Cats Are Psychopaths."

Post by bindeweede » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:45 pm

I've never had a pet cat. Assorted neighbours have, over the years, and none of them have been remotely friendly. There was "Morag" who occasionally would sit happily on my thighs, then suddenly stick her claws in.

I generally get on better with dogs.
Cats, she pointed out, simply don’t have the facial muscles to make the variety of expressions a dog (or human) can. So when we look at a cat staring at us impassively, it looks like a psychopath who cannot feel or show emotion. But that’s just its face. Cats communicate not with facial expressions but through the positions of their ears and tails. Their emotional lives can seem inscrutable—and even nonexistent—until you spend a lot of time getting to know one.

Dogs, on the other hand, have learned to mimic humans. They do that thing where they pull their mouths back into something resembling a smile. They hang their heads in a way that looks super guilty. Just as humans have shaped the physical appearance of dogs, we’ve bred them to be extremely attuned to human social cues. Dogs that repeatedly raise their brows to make cute puppy faces are more likely to be adopted out of shelters.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... source=fbb

Tony.Williams

Re: "Why We Think Cats Are Psychopaths."

Post by Tony.Williams » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:26 am

One possible answer to the heading - because they kill vast quantities of small birds and other animals, just for fun? :???:

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:50 pm

Yes I think it's more their actions than their expressions. The classic trope canine loyalty is of a faithful hound who on the death of his master pines away at their grave side. In the classic cat lady equivalent she's discovered three days later and the cat's have eaten her face.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:35 am

Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con