Seasonal Spirits.

Tony.Williams

Re: Seasonal Spirits.

Post by Tony.Williams » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:47 pm

A few weeks ago I came in from the cold (not spying, I merely arrived home) feeling under the weather and in need of a warming pick-me-up. So I tried something new (to me, anyway) - purists look away now - I put the kettle on and added hot water to some bourbon.

The result was delicious - the heat really brought out the rich flavour (why do people chill such drinks?) and I felt much better afterwards :thumb:

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Tony.Williams wrote:A few weeks ago I came in from the cold (not spying, I merely arrived home) feeling under the weather and in need of a warming pick-me-up. So I tried something new (to me, anyway) - purists look away now - I put the kettle on and added hot water to some bourbon.

The result was delicious - the heat really brought out the rich flavour (why do people chill such drinks?) and I felt much better afterwards :thumb:
The devil's hot toddy, two parts ginger wine to one part dark rum. a dash of lemon and a few cloves. Heat in a microwave just short of boiling. It's part drink, part anaesthetic.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Take care when making toddies. You can put yourself in a dangerous position - there will be no alcohol left if the mixture goes above 80C.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

polomint38

Post by polomint38 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 pm

It sounds grouse and fowl, but who is game enough to try try grouse flavo(u)red gin

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:51 pm

I don't think I'll bother. Or indeed with this -
The Cambridge Distillery have created the worlds first gin infused with the 'essense' of ants.
£200 a bottle too. :ey

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... d-gin.html

polomint38

Post by polomint38 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:18 pm

The gin is the first in the world to be made using insects
There is probably a reason for that.

Anty Gins bad pun

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 pm

For some reason unicorns seem to be all the rage, along with gin, so why not put them together? :con

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:31 pm

Here's a new word for you to amaze your friends: sgriob, a Gaelic word to describe the itchiness felt on the upper lip in anticipation of a sip of whisky.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:14 pm

Oh dear. I think Santa must think I am something of a "drouthy". 3 bottles of malt whisky came my way, though one was for the BD on the 24th.
In ascending order...

"Scapa - The Orcadian". One of the "no-age-specified" single malts available in many supermarkets. Perfectly acceptable, far more interesting, and costing only a few pounds more than one of the standard blended whiskies. Much better value, imo. Standard strength.

Then we have "The Yamazaki - Distiller's Reserve", a very fine Japanese whisky. Again, no age specified, but a very smooth, fruity, aromatic drop which at 43% abv needs a drop of water.

Finally Lagavullin 16yo. I haven't tasted it for a few years, and I'd forgotten how intense the aroma and taste are. Stunning...almost overwhelming. It won the Independent's "Ten Best single Malts" in November, but not everyone likes peaty Islay malts, so that isn't so significant. http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/ind ... 33601.html

Just sipping it now, as it happens. Just the 43%, but gives the impression of being much stronger. Amazing stuff. :-)

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:34 am

After decades of drinking single malts (mostly Islay or Skye) undiluted and unadulterated, I now find that I prefer drinking them 50/50 with water. Must be getting soft in my old age. :v